Here Is Valve's Source Engine Left 4 Dead 2 On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DSL from cd start very fast

just cut all gnome/kde and other useless stuff, just pure game and essential system elements [kernel, libraries and little configuration]

after boot, all game fles are on ram

booted game have access to hdd specified folder after you enter password for user. so you can save game.

gamecd containt kernel that we need, drivers, good set of libraries.

so it can be started from cd, or from linux you boot everyday[if libraries compatible]

Comment

Originally posted by NomadDemon View Post
      Many modern games can well use more than 10GBs of disk space so have fun copying that to memory. You would need at least dual layer DVD or Blueray for that and not to mention 8-12GBs of memory. The read speeds of modern Blue-rays and dual layer DVDs are around 30MB/s so just copying the files to memory would take at least 5 minutes not to mention the rest of the boot. Sounds like a great plan.

I personally hope that physical media dies as fast as possible and thanks to ultrabooks it's finally becoming reality.

Comment

you dont need to copy whole cd at once

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
          Many modern games can well use more than 10GBs of disk space so have fun copying that to memory. You would need at least dual layer DVD or Blueray for that and not to mention 8-12GBs of memory. The read speeds of modern Blue-rays and dual layer DVDs are around 30MB/s so just copying the files to memory would take at least 5 minutes not to mention the rest of the boot. Sounds like a great plan.

I personally hope that physical media dies as fast as possible and thanks to ultrabooks it's finally becoming reality.
          Not sure what ultrabook means, I have a ~3 year old Toshiba, which doesn't have a CD/DVD any more and my custom laptop has a drive bay in the DVD-Slot...

Comment

Misleading title is misleading.

If I can't go out and buy or download the game, then is it really 'here'? I don't think so. Do you remember Duke Nukem Forever? I do...

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
              Video! We want the video, not the slide presentations!
              Seconded. I would like video of the talk as well.

Comment

DSL from cd start very fast
                Starts... the problem is not starting, the question is running. Even running from the command line using a disk for stuff is slow as hell when using a LiveImage unless it's VMed because of the I/O issue. The problem is is that you're not caching the disk in RAM and in normal circumstances you aren't going to have the 8-16 GB to be able to do so and while still having the RAM in order to be able to run the game itself.

just cut all gnome/kde and other useless stuff, just pure game and essential system elements [kernel, libraries and little configuration]
                Even cutting down to that doesn't save you what you need in order to pull this off for RAM caching on a normal system

Good luck with that, that's not how these images operate, and they can't do it even if you wanted to as general because most people don't have 8-16GB of RAM

booted game have access to hdd specified folder after you enter password for user. so you can save game.
                that requires excessive setup and I see it breaking very easily honestly because you're having to Chroot and otherwise

gamecd containt kernel that we need, drivers, good set of libraries.

so it can be started from cd, or from linux you boot everyday[if libraries compatible]
                okay, but what about when stuff updates? like the game.. that would require the disk image to be rebuilt by the liveimage people and a lot more downloading than just pulling in a Delta-RPM

Comment

Aren't we getting a little off topic?

Comment

...and back to topic...video Video VIDEO !!!

We want the freaking video !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                      #2. Unless it's a liveUSB it's read-only, which guess what? means no saves, no updates, no mods.
                      Valve Promote that there is Cloud Space for Save Games and Game Settings etc. I think the idea is not so Bad. The biggest Problem are the GPU drivers.

-----

I hope they Release the Game soon. I have psc in my pocket that w8 only for L4D2 on Linux.

Comment

Working...
                      X