Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Announces Steam Goes Beyond Gaming

Phoronix: Valve Announces Steam Goes Beyond Gaming

Valve officially confirmed today that their Steam distribution software will go beyond just offering games and will provide applications from "creativity to productivity" software...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Photoshop and autocad for our valve linux distro anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by YaPeL View Post
      Photoshop and autocad for our valve linux distro anyone?
      Adobe and Autodesk frankly don't give a fuck about linux.

Comment

Originally posted by YaPeL View Post
        autocad for our valve linux distro anyone?
        Who need obsolete software when you can install something much more powerful? :-D

PS There is even modern free CAD software, but still unfinished (alpha stage).
        Last edited by kwahoo; 08 August 2012, 03:50 PM. Reason: +PS

Comment

I'm not sure if it's correct to emply that this is related to LINUX.

They sure gonna expand in September 5 to include more than games....but no where in that News at Steam is an indication that will include LINUX...in fact, it NEVER mentions LINUX in that news....in the long run , *MAYBE* it will also include Professional apps native in Linux to plug-in the gap in the FLOSS offer but i'm not so sure that will happen that soon.
          Last edited by AJSB; 08 August 2012, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kwahoo View Post
            ...and ridiculously expensive.

Originally posted by kwahoo View Post
            PS There is even modern free CAD software, but still unfinished (alpha stage).
            This needs a looooooot of work sadly to be on par with something commercial.

Comment

I am hoping that they will intergrate with apt in debian to easily detect updates and initilize them the way every one is used to (the actuall installation etc. can still happen in steam).

Comment

Are there any videos from the conference?

Siggraph's youtube channel seems useless.

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
                  I am hoping that they will intergrate with apt in debian to easily detect updates and initilize them the way every one is used to (the actuall installation etc. can still happen in steam).
                  In my opinion the current package managers are awesome for servers, but they lack on the desktop space.

Ingo Molnar had a few good posts about this (and desktop Linux in general):
                  Note:  This blog post outlines upcoming changes to Google Currents for Workspace users. For information on the previous deprecation of Googl...

Note:  This blog post outlines upcoming changes to Google Currents for Workspace users. For information on the previous deprecation of Googl...

Don't get irritated by the "App store" buzzword, it is nothing more than a package manager on steroids .

I really hope Valve releases their client under the GPL, then we could possibly see adoption of their "package management" on the Desktop space.
                  (if it meets the criteria, of course)

Well, lets wait and see where Valve takes Linux!
                  Last edited by bug!; 08 August 2012, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                    ...and ridiculously expensive.
                    This needs a looooooot of work sadly to be on par with something commercial.
                    Try DraftSight.

Comment

Working...
                    X