Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GNOME is rocking the boat.

Originally posted by bkor View Post
    The GNOME OS reporting was for one incorrect and furthermore loaded with very negative comments based on his incorrect summary. Even in this article the negativity is sky high.

Wtf about not being biased. Just because stuff is presented as a fact doesn't make it unbiased or true.
    Michaels written point of view matches the point of view which creates the most traffic @phoronix. I wonder what he really thinks when not posting articles.. GNOME is after all the only destop left backed by a company strongarm without loosing its neutrality. But yeah it is rather sad to see a misimpretation of Ottes blog hits the head lines while the tons of blog post of GNOMEs GUADEC and OS efforts are left unoticed. GNOME is outdoing all other open source efforts right now.

Comment

who boots from CD these days? I either personally boot from a DVD iso from usb stick, or boot.iso from usb stick and install from the net (most of the time release day there is fixes that get auto installed when you net install)

Comment

Originally posted by Lemonzest View Post
        who boots from CD these days? I either personally boot from a DVD iso from usb stick, or boot.iso from usb stick and install from the net (most of the time release day there is fixes that get auto installed when you net install)
        You are missing the point. This "Breaking News" was just another place to vent GNOME hatred. KDE is taking a beating right now and GNOME is fast moving on to a new OS era. Phoronix could write about this GNOME effort but another "GNOME is dying" headline suits better.

I wonder about when this will change.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          LXDE by default doesn't come with enough to customize in the first place. The very little it offers has enough customization to make me happy, and openbox's rc.conf is pretty easy to modify, while being very powerful. This is why I like it though - it comes with the bare minimum, so I only add what I care to use.
          Well, I was talking about LXDE-based solution, actually. Something like Lubuntu. The only pro for LXDE that I have found are its 40MiB lower memory footprint and PCManFM (which is more advanced than Thunar). The rest is either counter-intuitive, lower functionality or require writing own fron-ends/solutions. This things already exist on XFCE et cetera.

Comment

Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
            You are missing the point. This "Breaking News" was just another place to vent GNOME hatred. KDE is taking a beating right now and GNOME is fast moving on to a new OS era. Phoronix could write about this GNOME effort but another "GNOME is dying" headline suits better.

I wonder about when this will change.
            Yeah I'm peeved at this "GNOME IS DYING" stuff (would say bsd + gnome is doubly dead! but gnome no longer works on bsd due to all the new linux standards like devicekit etc)

Gnome lover myself, took all of about 30 mins to love gnome-shell (yes I said LOVE), running it on Mageia 2 x86_64 atm (Great distro)

Comment

Originally posted by Lemonzest View Post
              Yeah I'm peeved at this "GNOME IS DYING" stuff (would say bsd + gnome is doubly dead! but gnome no longer works on bsd due to all the new linux standards like devicekit etc)
              Well I consider BSD compatibility a victim of collateral damage. GNOME is a linux desktop and it can not compromise too much if we are going to solve every problem at the right level. If BSD catches up thats fine, otherwise meh.

Comment

This news is BS. This commit is not in wheeze, only in unstable. Also over the past days many gnome packages got reuploaded with better compression so gnome can fit on the CD.

Comment

Makes sense. For users, gnome2 to xfce is natural, gnome2 to gnome3 a disaster.

Think of it. You are a regular user, say at the workplace, used to work with gnome2. You don't care about the desktop much, you just come and sit to work with a web browser and office suit (openoffice). Wheezy becomes stable and IT upgrades all machines from squeeze.

Which choice hurts users more when they go to work next day? Gnome3 or XFCE? Fitting the CD might be compelling enough, but there is a strong usability reason to switch from gnome2 to xfce.

Gnome developers (the few that remain) have already said they are not catering to the needs of former gnome2 users. For them, Gnome3 has nothing to do with gnome2 and are not targeting their former users (as silly as that sounds). It would have made much more sense to rename the project entirely to avoid confusion.

Thus, ignoring gnome3 idiocy, what is left for the IT deployer? You need to switch to the closest thing, that would be either xfce, mate or, baring the performance of running components from gnome3, cinnamon/nemo/mdm & friends.

For a distro which doesn't want to alienate its user base (unlike the remaining gnome devs), this was the logical choice.

This is one beauty of the free/open source ecosystem. When a core dev makes an absurd choice, the project forks and/or people switch to alternatives. Remember Xfree86? Or even libreoffice vs openoffice?. Distros are collection of packages for the convenience of users, that is why they switch default packages from time to time.

Comment

Originally posted by bug! View Post
                    This news is BS..
                    Well if it is fact of fuzz doesnt matter does it? This is really abot venting GNOME hatred and nothing else. It is funny though, GNOME 3.4 is pogressing nicely in Wheezy. Stable upstream package are still to be incuded.

Comment

Originally posted by anonymous View Post
                      If an ISO is CD sized, you can still burn it to DVD or USB. Just because it is 700MB or whatever does not force you to burn it to CD.
                      Which is fine, right up until you start having to make huge compromises just to stay within CD size constraints.

Comment

Working...
                      X