BOXDX38BT And linux compatibility?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BOXDX38BT And linux compatibility?

I'm building a new system and would like to know where I can find a review for the BOXDX38BT intel motherboard running under linux kenerl 2.6.x ? Will it work well? I allready have a DP965LT motherboard with core 2 duo cpu and works great. Any info would be nice.

Michael reviewed a similar motherboard, the Gigabyte X38-DQ6, here.

While there will be some detail differences, the Gigabyte board should be very similar overall to the Intel board about which you ask. The bottom line was that the X38 motherboard was an excellent Linux platform.

Comment

Originally posted by rbmorse View Post
      Michael reviewed a similar motherboard, the Gigabyte X38-DQ6, here.

While there will be some detail differences, the Gigabyte board should be very similar overall to the Intel board about which you ask. The bottom line was that the X38 motherboard was an excellent Linux platform.
      So the intel motherboard will probbably work with linux very well?
      I also just saw this http://www.intel.com/support/motherb.../CS-008326.htm which shows a chart of linux compatible motherboards, and it shows that this one is not supported in linux? How come?
      Last edited by cizzi; 08 January 2008, 09:41 PM.

Comment

The Intel motherboard should work very well with Linux, especially recent distributions using a kernel newer than 2.6.18.

The support chart on the Intel page refers to Intel provided drivers and utility software support. Note that Win2K is shown as not supported, either. Also, the chart indicates that Linux on the D975XBX and D975XBX2 motherboards is not supported, but I have one of each and they run Ubuntu 7.04 and 7.10 (and Fedora 8 on the XBX and Ubuntu 8.04 on the XBX2) just fine.

Comment

rbmorse, when phoronix reviewed that motherboard, you wouldnt happen to have gotten some info that can help me?

i mailed gigabyte but they are not answering, and i looked everywhere at reviews, NO ONE displays any information, which is IMO kindof nuts, as shared interrupts can have huge effect on performance, and not a single review looks at it..

Comment

Originally posted by Redeeman View Post
            shared interrupts can have huge effect on performance, and not a single review looks at it..
            In the end the target audience doesn't know are care
            about such things, so you'll have to live with the
            sorry state PC hardware is in a long while longer...

If the board has more than 4 pci slots and soldered
            pci devices, chances are very high that some of the 4
            PCI irqs are shared (my sony laptop has _ALL_ devices
            except keyboard controller and ide hooked to a single
            irq line)

Comment

Redeeman: Go to the Gigabyte support page for the motherboard model of interest and download the manual (it's a .pdf and avail for no charge) It should have the info on shared interrupts for you.

Comment

it does not.. cant find with search anyway

Comment

Sorry to hear that. I do know the X38-DQ6 will allow you to manually assign a specific IRQ to the two PCI slots, but I guess that isn't quite what you are looking for.

Bumnmer.

Comment

nope, and i must say, im quite disappointed in gigabyte for taking so many days to answer (still havent gotten answer yet).

well, im about ready to look for alternative motherboards, if gigabyte does not want me as customer then so be it.

any suggestions?

Comment

Working...
                    X