Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 18 Picks Up Last Features - There's No Btrfs

Phoronix: Fedora 18 Picks Up Last Features - There's No Btrfs

The feature freeze and branching of Fedora 18 is scheduled to occur tomorrow. The FESCo meeting happened today where a few of the last features were approved for the Spherical Cow release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't think btrfs and its fsck are really stable... Can someone prove me wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
      I don't think btrfs and its fsck are really stable... Can someone prove me wrong?
      No arguments there. From time to time I think to myself "well some time has passed, maybe it's actually usable now", and then I try to use it and always get lots of kernel backtraces in my dmesg. The root seems to be common: I try it on small partitions, and btrfs still chokes when the partition is almost full. But c'mon, I really don't care. It's just not usable, and I'd never recommend it.

Comment

btrfs is not officially considered stable. i wouldn't make it the default on any distro one day earlier.

Comment

I hope Mate is optional to Gnome... so the shouting and loud people prevail again?
          Last edited by disi; 07 August 2012, 04:21 AM.

Comment

Btrfs is considered stable by Oracle (for what that's worth) and Suse. It's also now considered stable by me, which is the most important thing . All of my testing is with Kernel 3.4, and latest btrfs-progs. Don't use it on an earlier kernel.

I've been testing it theroughly without trouble. Online adding and deleting devices from arrays works wonderfully. Scrubbing works well, much the same as ZFS scrubbing.
            The most important thing is that Btrfs seems to be extremely resiliant against corruption, and the so called "self healing" has worked well. Having checksums for everything is really the way to go.

Btrfs has been great, so I don't think the negative comments are still deserved. I recommend everyone try it for themselves in the lab. I DON'T recommend you try it if your a desktop user with a single hard drive. It's probably not meant for you anyhow.

Comment

Originally posted by disi View Post
              I hope Mate is optional to Gnome... so the shouting and loud people prevail again?
              Gnome is still default; MATE will just be available in the repositories. I doubt it will even get it's own spin, to be honest.

Comment

Working...
              X