X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

and allow me one more quip before I exit this discussion

go read about their lawsuit and the patents they are suing over

and you speak of innovation?

how many commits has apple made to the linux kernel?

lol

now watch as the army of appletards closes ranks and drinks the i7up

Comment

The sad thing is, none of the people arguing with you are Apple-tarts. We're members of the linux ecosystem, on the same team as you, and we're trying to help you, so that we're a stronger team. You appear to be really angry about something, and all that we can get from your posts is that "Thunderbolt is bad because Apple's lawyers are harming the environment".

Stop the hate. Start here. http://www.ted.com/talks/simon_sinek...re_action.html

Comment

Originally posted by russofris View Post
        My first job in this industry was customizing PCs in 93. After a decade, I just got tired of being disappointed. I looked long and hard at my options, and finally broke down for the product that most closely resembled my principles. No more zip-tie cable management. No more double-sided adhesive tape. No more Windows. Apple has it's share of issues, but it's a world apart from the PC ecosystem.
        Why is Apple not part of the "PC ecosystem"?

Comment

Ha, this almost looks like one of the Mono threads

[10 chars]

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
            Why is Apple not part of the "PC ecosystem"?
            I would have to ask them. My guess is as good as yours.

Comment

lol, be nice. I totally agree that there are a few goofballs with strange anti-Apple biases in this thread. I simply cannot imagine why anyone would choose to blame Apple when a Thunderbolt display does not work with a Thunderbolt equipped PC under Linux.

Personally, I'm thankful that his post didn't begin each sentence with "Actually,".

F
              I should be nicer :P It just tweaks my nipple when people throw around such sweeping statements. I love Linux, my servers run it, my workstation runs it but my main coding hardware is Apple with VMs. I love it. It just works for me. There are just so many more evils in this world that dwarf the evil I see in Apple/MS/Sun/Oracle as too often pointed out by disgruntled neck beards. Its fucking computer hardware. Get a grip!

Then again I suppose me posting on a forum all angry like would cause my wife to tell me to get a grip on my social life.

Personally, I'm thankful that his post didn't end with PERIOD.

Comment

Indeed. I see a lot of this. It's as if the perception of quality begins with the utility and ends with the performance of the object being judged. Design and artistry are dismissed as being excess or luxury. I worked with a number of PC vendors and configurations in my time. My first job in this industry was customizing PCs in 93. After a decade, I just got tired of being disappointed. I looked long and hard at my options, and finally broke down for the product that most closely resembled my principles. No more zip-tie cable management. No more double-sided adhesive tape. No more Windows. Apple has it's share of issues, but it's a world apart from the PC ecosystem.

Pal's post (to whom you were responding) sounds like my neighbor who talks about how much faster his Camero is than my Merc. Since speed really isn't on my agenda, he'll go into the most bizarre and contorted explanations of how his car is somehow better, cheaper, and that Merc's really aren't as good as they are said to be. I hate introducing car metaphors, but if I wanted speed, I'd buy a Viper or Impreza. If I wanted cheap, I'd take the bus.

Pal, Macs are really nice. Stop hating on them. Nobody makes you buy them other than yourself. Linux is neat enough on its own that you do not have to diminish the efforts of its competitors and the fruits of their labor.

Off topic, PM if needed, what kind of Merc do you have? I'm a serious gear head. I might have used to use IDA to decompile Subaru STi ROMs for various cat killing reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Tgui View Post
                  Off topic, PM if needed, what kind of Merc do you have? I'm a serious gear head. I might have used to use IDA to decompile Subaru STi ROMs for various cat killing reasons.
                  I had an E550-Cab delivered. Looking back, I probably should have gone for the stock 500. It might just be my age, but I think the extra HP will be the death of me. I'm not really a gearhead, but estimate that 0-60 occurs in approximately 5 seconds-ish. What I was after was something that handled like a nimble Impreza, but with a little more room (I'm a little over 6') and fewer QC/cosmetic issues. Prior to this, my driving experience had been limited to SCCA NE Div driving an old 1978 Saab 99 (~2.0L) turbo prior to them dropping ClubRally, some "hill climbing", and some ice racing on Champaign in an old VW Rabbit. As you can immediately deduce, I have no business sitting on 400hp, but am a grand-master-wizard when working a 200hp club car.

I have a kid now, and have not really driven for over a decade. If I ever get the bug again, I'll probably sponsor a team for Rally America and teach a teenager how to drive. I just don't have it in me any more.

F

Comment

I run two of the previous generation ACD 27" (mini displayport) monitors on a non-apple workstation. It's an EVGA SR-2 with a Quadro 4000 (two displayport outputs), running Gentoo Linux as the only OS. The displayport -> mini displayport adaptors are about $10, and work great.

If it helps, there is 0% CPU load, and the Quadro runs both displays without breaking a sweat. In general, I didn't have any mode setting issues, etc. Everything's been working fantastic with Linux. The speakers in both monitors work (although I disable them), and the iSight cameras work fine as well. (with some configuring + firmware) There's also an apple backlight driver in the kernel that works really well for adjusting the brightness, but you have to connect the additional USB for it to work. (it's actually under /drivers/usb/misc) You can query the brightness with 'cat /sys/class/backlight/appledisplay0/actual_brightness' and set it by adding an integer value between 0-255 to the "brightness" file in the same directory. I've written a small C program that I interact with via lua script to manipulate the brightness for both monitors at the same time in a taskbar widget. I hover my mouse over the widget and scroll the wheel up or down to raise / lower the brightness. It's very nice.

Not that it matters, but I purchased x2 Dell U2711's before returning them and choosing the 27 ACD's. This is my personal taste, but I found the anti-glare coating gave me headaches. I did some reasearch and found that HP, NEC and Dell all use the same LG IPS display, with the same 3M anti-glare coating. (on specific models within my price range)

-aw

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus
                      apple's way:

1- "hey yo foxconn/xxxx what's the best shit you have that dell/hp/xxx is buying?"

2- haggle prices like a jew on steroids, drive chinese workers to suicide

3- encase whatever you buy in shiny aluminium/white plastic. Don't forget the logo (most important)

4- sell it to retards for a 500% profit margin

5- repeat it at least once every 12 months (previous version of products are to be trashed and not supported)

it works for software too:

- steal your operating system from nerds
                      - encase it in shiny graphics
                      - sell it to retards (also don't forget to introduce code in the system and in every update to fuck up whoever installs this in something that hasn't got our logo even tho is 100% the same shit as ours)
                      This 100%. Thanks for saying it for me!

Comment

Working...
                      X