Apple Thunderbolt Display Presents Problems For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ex-Cyber View Post
    This one doubles as a halfway decent dock for a Thunderbolt-equipped laptop, without needing extra desk space, a bunch of cables/dongles or a proprietary docking connector (inasmuch as Thunderbolt can realistically be said to be non-proprietary right now, which is a debatable point).
    Exactly. And it's basically the same price as refurb T-bolt Cinema Displays from Apple.

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus
      apple's way:

1- "hey yo foxconn/xxxx what's the best shit you have that dell/hp/xxx is buying?"

2- haggle prices like a jew on steroids, drive chinese workers to suicide

3- encase whatever you buy in shiny aluminium/white plastic. Don't forget the logo (most important)

4- sell it to retards for a 500% profit margin

5- repeat it at least once every 12 months (previous version of products are to be trashed and not supported)

it works for software too:

- steal your operating system from nerds
      - encase it in shiny graphics
      - sell it to retards (also don't forget to introduce code in the system and in every update to fuck up whoever installs this in something that hasn't got our logo even tho is 100% the same shit as ours)
      Pallidus' way:

1) Make up crazy shit.

2) Sound like an idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz View Post
        This 100%. Thanks for saying it for me!
        Awesome. So you are racist just like Pallidus too?

Comment

Originally posted by kgonzales View Post
          Durrrr uurrr herpaderps. There's a guy online insulting the biggest and richest computer company in the world, I don't work for them or get anything from them except overpriced shiny products designed for retard use but let me call my mac genius and show this guy the appletard way

gonz?lez being an idiot is reading all the news about apple and put the appletard blinders on so you can ignore the facts.

you are right, it's absolutely lies I just made up

Foxxconn workers are jolly, jolly happy and not a single one has committed suicide.

Apple is really nice and generous to her hardware suppliers and pays the fair price for everything

Apple doesn't pollute anything, the only by products of millions of ipads/ipods manufacturing is candy cane and sunshine.

Apple only broke that guys door and invaded his apartment because they wanted to give him a hug.

I know what you should do with your apple products but since this is a civilized forum I will restrain

(btw racist for using a comical cliche that all the jewish comedians use, the joke here is you)
          Last edited by Pallidus; 10 August 2012, 04:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
            gonz?lez being an idiot is reading all the news about apple and put the appletard blinders on so you can ignore the facts.

you are right, it's absolutely lies I just made up

Foxxconn workers are jolly, jolly happy and not a single one has committed suicide.

Apple is really nice and generous to her hardware suppliers and pays the fair price for everything

Apple doesn't pollute anything, the only by products of millions of ipads/ipods manufacturing is candy cane and sunshine.

Apple only broke that guys door and invaded his apartment because they wanted to give him a hug.

I know what you should do with your apple products but since this is a civilized forum I will restrain

(btw racist for using a comical cliche that all the jewish comedians use, the joke here is you)
            Say what the f**k you want to say, just spell my name right!

Foxconn worker suicide rate is lower than the general population in China: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxconn_suicides
            So yes, actually, working at Foxconn lowered the chance that you might kill yourself.

All computer companies pollute. Because all computer companies use components made from toxic materials. Make processors and memory chips are some of the nastiest processes in the world:

So if you are mad at Apple and Foxconn, you should be mad at everyone who has every produced a computer. There are way more non-Apple hardware parts in landfills than the other way around.

Is Apple the only company in computing with some dirt under its fingernails? I think not. Here are a few examples:

The only one with blinders on (and blind biased hatred) is you.

Comment

Originally posted by kgonzales View Post
              Say what the f**k you want to say, just spell my name right!

Foxconn worker suicide rate is lower than the general population in China: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxconn_suicides
              So yes, actually, working at Foxconn lowered the chance that you might kill yourself.

All computer companies pollute. Because all computer companies use components made from toxic materials. Make processors and memory chips are some of the nastiest processes in the world:

So if you are mad at Apple and Foxconn, you should be mad at everyone who has every produced a computer. There are way more non-Apple hardware parts in landfills than the other way around.

Is Apple the only company in computing with some dirt under its fingernails? I think not. Here are a few examples:

The only one with blinders on (and blind biased hatred) is you.
              The problem is not that they do bad things, but that people treat them like a perfect god.

Comment

The problem is not that they do bad things, but that people treat them like a perfect god.
                And the answer to that is not to blindly label them as a perfect devil either, but to look at what they do well and what they do NOT do well, and make some truthful observations.

Neither Linux nor OSX is perfect, but each one has great strengths and great weaknesses which make them perfect for certain roles.

When I was a desktop to do actual work, I use OSX.

When I want to deploy servers, I use Linux.

When I want to play games, I use Windows.

Apple laptop hardware has been the first since some earlier Sony or IBM (NOT Lenovo) laptops which have been highly reliable for me and I didn't want to pitch in the trash after a year. 2010 17" MBP has been a reliable travel companion. Last time I felt that way about a laptop was the IBM A31p. Great screen, ran for years... tho the MBP is WAY lighter and has a much better battery than that beast did. I could use my current MBP for 3+ years without issue.

I moved to OSX for a desktop for the same reasons I abandoned Windows for real work 10 years before that. It was a better solution that allowed me to do all I wanted with less hassle. OSX is not perfect. Apple is not perfect. But for many, many cases... they offer a much better HW/SW combo with less effort than anything Linux can provide right now.

Comment

I'm not sure which "people" you speak of. We (in this thread) were treating them like they made a nice display.

Comment

Just looking briefly, it seems like the thunderbolt display is basically a combination of displayport and PCIe. If that is the case, this isn't like implementing HDMI or DVI where there is one or a few standard data transfer formats to prepare, you are coding support for low-level device access (i.e. full, direct access to system memory) and the performance of the device will only be as good as the drivers for the device. Considering Apple's history of making their devices have as poor interoperability as possible with non-Apple software, this may be more a case of Linux developers not having access to enough of the device specs to make a good implementation. If that is the case it may be a while before Linux devs are able to reverse-engineer the device, especially considering the cost and targeting at Mac customers will likely restrict the appeal of the device.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                      Phoronix: Apple Thunderbolt Display Presents Problems For Linux

For the past few weeks I have been trying out the Apple's Thunderbolt Cinema Display under Linux. While this 27-inch Apple Thunderbolt Display is beautiful and delivers stunning quality, it does illustrate another area where the current Linux hardware support currently comes up short. There's both good and bad news about using a Thunderbolt-based display under your favorite Linux distribution.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=17717
                      Hey Michael, do you still have the display? Any success so far?
                      I'm not a big fan of apple products but I have to admit that seeing the Thunderbolt display next to dell's and other 27" displays it's by far the best! I would say it's the closest thing I've seen to a retina display in a monitor... looking so good that got even me tempted so... that's the reason I'm asking.

thank you,

Comment

Working...
                      X