Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell Talks Linux Virtualization Tips

Phoronix: Dell Talks Linux Virtualization Tips

Dell has written a guest post on Phoronix with some Linux virtualization tips...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Dell should hire Michael to teach them how to do proper seo linking :-P

Comment

About the Author: David Malmborg works with Dell and enjoys writing about technology. In his spare time he enjoys reading, the outdoors, and spending time with his family. For more information on Windows 7 upgrades visit Dell.
      Ahem.. Excuse me?

Comment

Virtualization has a lot of benefits: it can help reduce costs by requiring less hardware and improving overall energy efficiency. It also produces higher performance with many of the best enterprise applications, including Oracle and SQL Server.
        Can anyone corrobate this claim? It seems rather counter-intuitive to me...

Comment

Originally posted by Aquous View Post
          I agree.
          It would be great if someone could provide their experiences about this...

May be worth a benchmark/article?

Comment

Originally posted by Aquous View Post
            If you load is on I/O and you set up things correctly this can actually be true.

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
              If you load is on I/O and you set up things correctly this can actually be true.
              Because you're using a virtual system that has less I/O performance than a real one? How does that work exactly? Or are you referring to the possible lack of sync?

Comment

You would need to have the disks sit on dedicated disk in somthing like a SAN server and work with a distirbuted database.

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
                  You would need to have the disks sit on dedicated disk in somthing like a SAN server and work with a distirbuted database.
                  And how would that offer more performance than doing the same thing without the VM layer? Don't get me wrong, I know that virtualization is very useful, but I just don't think that it can perform better than bare metal.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
                    Because you're using a virtual system that has less I/O performance than a real one? How does that work exactly? Or are you referring to the possible lack of sync?
                    Yes, they probably mean that but they don't get what it is.
                    No sync means you can lose your data very stupidly.
                    And you could patch your database not to sync without virtualization and get the same performance boost, it would be stupid, but it's doable.

Let's face it, virtualization is more expensive, is widely misunderstood, and should not be used in many cases it is used.

Comment

Working...
                    X