id Software: Linux Hasn't Produced Positive Results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by AJSB View Post
    ps_ ...and yes, if you also criticise someone for wanting to use a joystick in a FPS game like ETQW, you are also a ETQW noob because clearly you don't know about the flying vehicles in ETQW
    Most of the time I play the objectives. No need to fly or drive a vehicule to complete the objectives.

Comment

• Originally posted by 9a3eedi View Post
      While I don't find Quake 3 stupid or boring, I do agree with the rest.. I really don't understand why every FOSS FPS game I see online is just some soul-less quake 3 clone. Could someone at least make something with a decent singleplayer campaign and a story? lol.. or perhaps something with a co-op campaign, but with the gameplay style of Quake 3 and other fast-paced shooters. I realize it takes more effort, but still, you'd expect that you'd at least see someone trying to change things a little at least

I've been having ideas of making games like that myself.. who knows, it might happen someday
      I totaly understand why nobody makes shooters with story for free in the opensource "business" modell. Because multiplayer is the main factor for long-time-playablility of a game. If you make lets say like a story line of a AAA titel, you get like 10 hours or less gameplay, after that most people will not touch this game ever again or replay it, except that there is a good multiplayer.

The other way around it can happen, if you make a game like quake 3 with no single player at all people might play it for 1000 hours and more. So its just stupid for opensource game developer to make a singleplayer game, because you cannot make something better in graphics or something else that brings people back to play the game again. as a opensource developer its also less that games are like a mass-produktion, where you make in a short time extrem much effort release it than only release very small fixes for it and then you stop supporting it.

Its more like you build a thing, and make it better and better and better and better over many years... so multiplayer fits this more...

Comment

• Originally posted by whitecat View Post
        Most of the time I play the objectives. No need to fly or drive a vehicule to complete the objectives.
        Me too but when we see that no one uses the Anansi to defend at Quarry or a Tormentor to attack ,, someone has to do it....

It's like the team forgot to deploy a radar and no one wants to do it.....someone has to do it...

In any case, i use a mouse + gamepad for all my controls in any gane and works very well in any circumstances...only wish that my darn ping was lower.....i'm always 70ms more than others because of my 3/3.5G Net connection

BTW, i'm also "AJSB" in that game and usually can find me in AaardVaark clan server or Villa server, or at worse at TAW server

(FWIW, i'm also "AJSB" at BFBC2 (but not at BF2 where a chinese guy registered "Ajsb" ), and at Steam )
        Last edited by AJSB; 06 August 2012, 07:15 AM.

Comment

• I beg to differ, one of the reasons why CoD IP is so successful is because SP.

In fact, it's the only reason i bought all CoDs....CoD is NOT a FPS game...it's a FPS Interactive Movie and the main reason for it's success.

You are right that SP at CoD style is very linear, but they said that they gonna change that in the next CoD BO2 with a story with multiple branches that we can choose from with different ending....will see.

Comment

• I'm not surprised one bit, making money via Linux is difficult at best.

The problem is that most, by most I mean the vast majority, Linux users don't care about software freedom they are in reality just cheap. Sometime cheap to the point of being stupid. Stupid cheap is when you go out of your way not to support financially software that is important or useful to you. You often hear the attitude expressed by Linux users that programmers don't need to make a living or feed their families.

Contrast this with what is happening in the Mac OS/X and iOS world where people aren afraid to spend a couple of bucks on an app. That money goes to generating wealth for the programmer and drives quality on Apple app stores. In turn that generates growth for the platforms as reasonably priced software, that is of high quality, brings in new customers.

By the way before anybody says anything, I've been using Linux distros since at least RedHat 3, or well before Fedora. I still use it but not for my primary machine anymore. Linux as a desktop machine is simply a joke and part of that is due to the cheap mentality that follows Linux like a ball and chain. Of course a coherent and modern desktop API and environment would help a bit.

Software freedom as a concept is great but free software is totally misunderstood by the vast majority of Linux users. Instead they only see free as in no out of my pocket expenses. So these days Linux has gorged itself on the shiftless, the under achievers, the economic nut cases, the do nothings and anti establishment flakes and then they sit back and wonder why Linux isn't going anywhere. Eventually is see Linux loosing its trendiness and eventually going back to its roots as an OS for hackers, professionals and advanced users. All the whiners looking for games, desktop apps and the goodies from the commercial world will eventually leave Linux. They aren't willing to pay for the software, can't provide reasonable development help and frankly are unwelcomed in the community.

Comment

• wizard you get me something like elementary os luna with access to a repo that contains every piece of software ever made for linux and I'd gladly pay the same price for that as I would for windows.

"because not so long ago OS X was irrelevant till it got games. "

damn, I mean wtf ......... yep it was the games.

After that comment it's best that I exit this discussion

Comment

• Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
                The problem is that most, by most I mean the vast majority, Linux users don't care about software freedom they are in reality just cheap. Sometime cheap to the point of being stupid. Stupid cheap is when you go out of your way not to support financially software that is important or useful to you. You often hear the attitude expressed by Linux users that programmers don't need to make a living or feed their families.

Contrast this with what is happening in the Mac OS/X and iOS world where people aren afraid to spend a couple of bucks on an app. That money goes to generating wealth for the programmer and drives quality on Apple app stores. In turn that generates growth for the platforms as reasonably priced software, that is of high quality, brings in new customers.

By the way before anybody says anything, I've been using Linux distros since at least RedHat 3, or well before Fedora. I still use it but not for my primary machine anymore. Linux as a desktop machine is simply a joke and part of that is due to the cheap mentality that follows Linux like a ball and chain. Of course a coherent and modern desktop API and environment would help a bit.

Software freedom as a concept is great but free software is totally misunderstood by the vast majority of Linux users. Instead they only see free as in no out of my pocket expenses. So these days Linux has gorged itself on the shiftless, the under achievers, the economic nut cases, the do nothings and anti establishment flakes and then they sit back and wonder why Linux isn't going anywhere. Eventually is see Linux loosing its trendiness and eventually going back to its roots as an OS for hackers, professionals and advanced users. All the whiners looking for games, desktop apps and the goodies from the commercial world will eventually leave Linux. They aren't willing to pay for the software, can't provide reasonable development help and frankly are unwelcomed in the community.
                What a load of BS.
                [1] Humble bundle proved that Linux users are willing to pay for software, twice as much as Windows users, that is.
                [2] RedHat passing the 1B mark proves the Linux users willing to pay for support.
                [3] As I'm being called cheap ass under achiever / nut case / etc, lets compare notes: In the past 10+ years I've spent a 7 digit number of Linux licenses. You've spent **** on Windows / MacOS / Windows licenses (digit count is sufficient)?
                [4] Given the fact that 30%-80% (!!!!!!!!) of all Windows copies are pirated [1], and given the likely fact that game pirating is just as bad, I assume that Windows users are, and I quote "under achievers, the economic nut cases, the do nothings and anti establishment flakes", right?
                [5] Have you consider that I, like many (!) of my friend and, wait for it, co-workers use Linux both at home and at work due to many diverse reasons beyond "software freedom", like customization? huge amount of developments tools? stability? performance? general-dislike for Microsoft direction? heck, personal preference?

Now, I understand some of the points you're raising and even agree with a couple of them. But your gross generalization is simply insulting.

- Gilboa
                [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_s...rating_systems
                Last edited by gilboa; 06 August 2012, 09:18 AM.
                oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

• BTW To all the idiots who curse JC for his comment: Be ashamed!
                  JC has contributed a hell of lot more to Linux than this forum combined.
                  You may agree or disagree with his statement, but bow your head before speaking about a man who gave away millions of dollars in development time for free to the community!
                  What have you done to advance Linux? How much money have you spent?

... Keep this up, and I can promise you that Valve will run away from Linux screaming. No-body wants to deal with 5 y/o with a temper.

- Gilboa
                  oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                  oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                  oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                  Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

• Really? But...

Has "id" produced anything positive in the past 5-6 years?

:-)

Tit for Tat...

Comment

• Originally posted by gilboa View Post
                      JC has contributed a hell of lot more to Open Source community
                      Fixed for you
                      Guys (TTimo, Zold) supporting Linux departed id.

Comment

Working...
                      X