Intel X.Org Update Restores 830GM/845G Acceleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    AMD drops support for old graphics cards.
    Intel adds support for old graphics.
    That's very much backwards. Intel dropped all support for their whole i8xx range, and is now trying to re-support small parts of it.

Comment

Yeah, but on the proprietary Catalyst driver, they just dropped support for graphics card that was just some years old.
      And Intel doesn't even support their cards through a proprietary driver for 1 year, or 1 month, or 1 day. Your point being?

Comment

Yeah, but on the proprietary Catalyst driver
        Oranges and apples. They're supported in the open source driver.

Comment

It doesn't appear to fix anything

The article doesn't specifically say if Chris Wilson actually fixed anything. From the article:

The GMCH on this pair of chipsets is notoriously incoherent, so the GPU is almost certainly going to hang at some point, though unlikely to hang the system and should automatically disable acceleration (and thence behave identically as if the acceleration was disabled from the start).
          Now, this is not meant to dispariage Wilson in any way. He could be setting the stage to get some bug reports rolling in, who knows.

But as the article is written, nothing is receiving "support". A currently exiting feature was enabled, nothing more.

(BTW, I hope Wilson is prepared to issue some fixes, even though I don't have one of these chipsets. It would still be a good thing)
          Last edited by halfmanhalfamazing; 05 August 2012, 07:31 PM.

Comment

AMD drops support for old graphics cards.
            Intel adds support for old graphics.
            I have a couple of HP latptops with integrated graphics from ati.... not one of them was once supported by ati or AMD or whoever so 'drops' is not the correct word

Comment

Working...
            X