Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kano View Post
    @Scali

I am pretty sure rage works fine (on win) with hd 4000 even at 1920x1200, when 30 fps are enough for you.
    Yes, it does now, after driver updates (I never claimed otherwise)... but not at release afaik.
    It also doesn't work on older Intel GPUs because their OpenGL drivers were never updated to the required minimum OpenGL version of 3.3 (even though any DX10 IGP from Intel should be able to support that).

Comment

I dont have got hd 3000, but it worked somehow with hd 2000, but pretty slow compared to hd 4000.

Comment

It's amusing reading some of the people on the [H]ard|Forums being butt-hurt that Valve is focusing so much effort on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by gamerk2 View Post
          3: Unreal 3 [seriously, how many major titles use Unreal these days?]
          I take offence to that. It's Unreal Engine 3. Unreal is a game series. And before someone makes another mistake, it's Unreal Engine 3, and not "Unreal 3 Engine".

On that note, UE3 is on the PS3, and I'm pretty sure that writing renderers is not difficult for it. Just that nobody seems to be interested in investing into that. Not yet, anyway; with Valve games on Linux, they might be.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
            I take offence to that. It's Unreal Engine 3. Unreal is a game series. And before someone makes another mistake, it's Unreal Engine 3, and not "Unreal 3 Engine".

On that note, UE3 is on the PS3, and I'm pretty sure that writing renderers is not difficult for it. Just that nobody seems to be interested in investing into that. Not yet, anyway; with Valve games on Linux, they might be.
            Yes, apparently Epic was not as excited about linux as Valve is: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=ODkyMw
            They had announced a native linux port early on, but it got delayed and delayed, and eventually cancelled.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
              I started using Linux on a Radeon 7500 and then later upgraded to a Radeon 9200 and had a lot of fun playing classic natives games such as Quake 3, Shogo, SOF, UT, and UT2004, not to mention OpenArena and Nexuiz and the like. I could just never understand why Doom 3 would never work - I was so pleased when it became possible to launch it using the free drivers back in 2010 though.

Sorry for the nostalgia trip everyone.
              It was actually possible to run Doom 3 with an r200 card using Mesa pretty early. I seem to recall that it was made to work there before fglrx was updated with support. It never rendered correctly though, so it never was much fun.

Also, it was quite possible to run it with free drivers way earlier than 2010, but you had to use an Intel GPU

Comment

For the ones wondering what were the conditions of the tests as UBUNTU goes....

Valve Linux team says:
                August 2, 2012 at 11:31 am

The majority of our testing uses Ubuntu?s default desktop environment and settings.

So, i guess that means Unity !!! ...possibly they automaticly disable Compiz if it's enabled and exiting game reenable it

Comment

Originally posted by whizse View Post
                  It was actually possible to run Doom 3 with an r200 card using Mesa pretty early. I seem to recall that it was made to work there before fglrx was updated with support. It never rendered correctly though, so it never was much fun.

Also, it was quite possible to run it with free drivers way earlier than 2010, but you had to use an Intel GPU
                  He I remember running the beta on a TNT2, had to tweek a the config and disable a lot of stuff from the consol, but I ended up with lovely gray soup running at 5 fps. That finally got me to invest in a new graphics card GF-FX 5950U, what a waste of money that was still better then the TNT2 :P

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
                    For all the people that keeps complaining that D3D and OpenGL might not look the same and there for be cheating
                    Valve already confirm two or three times (in comments to blog-post) that the quality of render is the same between Direct3D and OpenGL.
                    Originally posted by AJSB View Post
                    So, i guess that means Unity !!! ...possibly they automaticly disable Compiz if it's enabled and exiting game reenable it
                    They also write, they keep default settings, and they also write they test game not only with Unity. Read all their comments.

Comment

no surprise

It should come as no surprise that the Linux graphics pipeline is faster. Back in the day Quake got higher FPS under Linux through all three versions from my experiences. But I think it has more to do with data layers between hardware and software. Managed code probably doesn't help maters.

It always perplexed me as to why games need so many advanced pixel operations (shadders ... ). Fixed functioned -- I think it's called -- graphics peaked my interests. Quake 3 graphics are sufficent these days (Modern Warfare 2/3) on the 360. It's the game-play people crave. Left4Dead was the best game I've ever played. la la la

Comment

Working...
                      X