Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland Losing OpenWF Display Back-End

Phoronix: Wayland Losing OpenWF Display Back-End

While an OpenWF back-end compositor for Wayland once provided hope that more hardware would work with Wayland whereby OpenWF Display drivers were available, the OpenWF support is being dropped already from the compositor...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

5:00 AM here so i might be sleeping and making confusion....

So, it seems that one of the main points of Wayland is being dropped and at same time X Pixman is improved not to mention lately other X improvements....does this start to sound like Wayland might die before it starts and X continue to rule ?

(AJSB searches for shelter before the artillery hit's him )

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
      does this start to sound like Wayland might die before it starts and X continue to rule ?
      I don't see any reason to believe so. The Wayland's developement is faster than ever and X.org is still stuck with the same problems it was few years ago

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
        I don't see any reason to believe so. The Wayland's developement is faster than ever and X.org is still stuck with the same problems it was few years ago
        I was just being a bit provocative of course ....but ok, Wayland is faster than ever....but so is Nouveau and is still is "a million miles beyond " as for performance goes when compared with the NVIDIA blob so....how does Wayland compares about speed against X ?

Comment

Should be faster, even for X native applications.

Comment

OpenWF... wouldnt this be something for the distros to invest into?

Comment

Originally posted by jakubo View Post
              OpenWF... wouldnt this be something for the distros to invest into?
              It was explained in the mailing list that it was removed because noone was interested in and the guy who developed it doesn't have time to maintain it. They will pull it back in if there is interest.

Comment

They should still use the specification to inspire their api's though.

Comment

Working...
                X