No announcement yet.

KDE 4.9 Released With Many Enhancements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Many people complain that KDE contains horrible amount of bugs, but it also contain awesome amount of practical functionality that other environments miss and it seems to me that most of the bugs are in applications like Amarok and luckily not in the core systems (ie. Plasma, KWin) since ~4.6.
    KWin and its setting dialogs are just wonderful since KDE 3.5. I've never managed to find ALT+<rightclick | leftclick> behavior settings in Gnome (I like ALT windows resizing and use no window borders.) and things like setting if ALT-TAB cycle windows from all desktops or just one desktop.
    Many also curse dolphin IMHO, but changing default file browser works like charm and i.e. I love dolphin, it's simple, tabbed, can be very conveniently controlled entirely by keyboard, feature combined button/editable addressbar (This can't be found in Nautilus or Thunar) and supports treeview. Btw. one can turn of those side panels or even menu+toolbars of course.
    Last edited by Grawp; 01 August 2012, 01:56 PM.

Comment

for those using opensuse 12.1 and want to update:
      Add those repos:
      then proceed to root and

zypper dup --from name_repo_1 && name_repo_2
      replace name_repo with whatever you named your repos.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
        [*] The "back" and "forward" buttons of my mice (all of them) don't work. No going back/forward with them in stuff like Konqueror, Dolphin or file dialogs.[/list]
        whats the update on this? Wasn't it some Qt limitation that was going to be added?

Comment

Originally posted by boast View Post
          whats the update on this? Wasn't it some Qt limitation that was going to be added?
          My understanding is this is/will be fixed in Qt 5.

Comment

Originally posted by boast View Post
            Didn't work for me earlier in dolphin, I think even up to 4.8, but with 4.9 it works everywhere, even in dolphin.

Comment

I might try it once it reaches arch repo, before kde just never finished logging in. It just stopped at the end of the splash screen.

Comment

Bugs that are really annoying:

• Some windows minimize towards the center of the desktop rather than towards the task bar. Qt Creator and tvtime always trigger that bug here.
                • KWin is very slow and choppy with low power GPU modes (50Mhz graphics / 135Mhz mem / 101Mhz proc). So I have to force a higher performance level.
                • Icons "jump" around when hovering the mouse over them (Desktop as well as in Dolphin). Doesn't always happen. Whether it happens or not seems to be fixed at login time.
                • Switching keyboard layout ignores the desktop (the desktop will use the last layout of the last application.)
                • KMix lacks some mixer sliders offered to me by alsamixer. Namely the "front", "rear", "center", "woofer" and "side" sliders. Only "master" is offered. This is with an Asus Xonar D1 card.
                • KDM stopped remembering the user name of the last logged in user after 4.6.
                • Admin password prompts are in stealth mode. Practically, you wait for a long time for the button you just clicked to do something, only to discover that this whole time a password prompt was opened that is hidden behind the current window.
                • Even though I set KDE to always automount new devices when I plug them in, it doesn't work with everything; I still have to click on "mount" in the plasma notifier.
                • The "back" and "forward" buttons of my mice (all of them) don't work. No going back/forward with them in stuff like Konqueror, Dolphin or file dialogs.

There are other smaller annoyances, but they're simply due to broken design rather than being bugs (for example the resize handle on borderless windows sometimes cover scrollbar buttons and statusbar information.)

I still like KDE very much :-) It's just these things get very annoying and it's very disappointing every time I update my KDE installation and see they haven't been addressed. (I did report them on bugs.kde.org of course.)
                Ha, you seriously do have KDE issues
                Also, you _did_not_ test KDE 4.9! I know for sure since your last point specifically _works_ in dolphin (mouse back/forward button). However, that button stuff is actually a Qt limitation! One that might finally get resolved properly in Qt 5.1. Devs can hack around it which is apparently done in Dolphin.

As for your first issue, yes, that nags me as well. I "think" i've narrowed it down to the task manager, but it's not really easy to track. Also, it's not really worth to track or put more time in it since all of that should be rewritten in QML anyway. That's why not manny people even try to fix it. However, the QML port - as far as i know - isn't even existing yet!

Comment

Originally posted by kayosiii View Post
                  My understanding is this is/will be fixed in Qt 5.
                  Nearly. Rick Stockton is working on this and it's aimed for Qt 5.1 IF he gets it done. Might even be 5.2. And yes, it is a Qt limitation. Qt - as it stands right now - only allows shortcuts to be set based on keyboard keys. So CTRL + Mouse click is not possible yet.

Comment

Many thanks go to TheBlackCat who, if I understand correctly, did a huge part of the job, offering the packages for openSUSE! (Currently still RC2 but that one works great here.)

Comment

[*] Some windows minimize towards the center of the desktop rather than towards the task bar. Qt Creator and tvtime always trigger that bug here.
                      This is a known bug ? actually a combination of bugs. Some of the bugs are already fixed (according to the main bug report the issue was worse in the past) but the remaining bug(s) are very hard to locate. Considering that this is a minor visual glitch, it has relatively low priority.

[*] KMix lacks some mixer sliders offered to me by alsamixer. Namely the "front", "rear", "center", "woofer" and "side" sliders. Only "master" is offered. This is with an Asus Xonar D1 card.
                      KMix is practically unmaintained. It?s a shame that a central piece of software can end up this way. For PulseAudio users VeroMix is probably the better tool.

[*] The "back" and "forward" buttons of my mice (all of them) don't work. No going back/forward with them in stuff like Konqueror, Dolphin or file dialogs.
                      That's no KDE bug. It?s a Qt bug which actually can?t be solved without breaking the ABI. Qt 4.x can?t include a bugfix for this reason. In Qt 5 the bug is fixed since a long time.

Comment

Working...
                      X