Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Nokia Reportedly Selling Off Qt

Can someone define ICS? Google gives mostly Android results, and wikipedia wasn't helpful either.

Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    Can someone define ICS? Google gives mostly Android results, and wikipedia wasn't helpful either.
    www.ics.com

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    I really feel sorry for the Finns to see their former top company going from hero to zero at an astounding pace. :/
    This. Nokia could have been a european apple of some sort

Default Microsoft and toolkits

One would think that Microsoft would have wanted to control both GTK (via their employee Miguel de Icaza) and Qt (via their employee Stephen Elop). Interesting.

Default RIM should be the buyer

RIM is almost as doomed as Nokia, but, unlike Nokia, they are betting the house on Qt, and those Trolls could do wonders with a company that actually depends on them.
    Last edited by Alejandro Nova; 08-01-2012 at 05:01 PM.

ICS current business model is centered around Qt.
    I know that ICS boss, Peter Winston, is worried about the futur of Qt.
    Here is a post in the qt-project from him : http://qt-project.org/forums/viewthread/18055/

Quote Originally Posted by IGnatius T Foobar View Post
    One would think that Microsoft would have wanted to control both GTK (via their employee Miguel de Icaza) and Qt (via their employee Stephen Elop). Interesting.
    Sigh... trolling much? Miguel de Icaza hasn't been particularly relevant to the Gnome / GTK community since the early days of the 2.x series... sometime back in 2005 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by funkSTAR View Post
    Yeah. And stripping off LGPL and GPL. Bye bye freedom.
    For the last time, they cannot do that. The moment they do, all of Qt becomes BSD licensed. We all know you hate Qt and KDE. Just stop with the FUD.

Quote Originally Posted by Delgarde View Post
    Sigh... trolling much? Miguel de Icaza hasn't been particularly relevant to the Gnome / GTK community since the early days of the 2.x series... sometime back in 2005 or so.
    Bullshit. He wants Gnome and gtk to be filled with MS crap like mono and he trolls at planetgnome as well.

Default Sad but it is about time QT dies.

I just don't see any company, with the resources to do a proper job of modernizing QT, to take it on. Beyond that a community project would likely die out or degerate into a developers nightmare. I just don't see something like QT lasting without strong corporate sponsorship and I don't see any corporation taking interest.