Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 1.5.10 Defaults To D3D Off-Screen Rendering

Phoronix: Wine 1.5.10 Defaults To D3D Off-Screen Rendering

Today marks the release of the Wine 1.5.10 development version and among other changes it now defaults to off-screen rendering for Direct3D...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So, what does this mean?

Comment

Originally posted by bachinchi View Post
      So, what does this mean?
      From http://wiki.winehq.org/UsefulRegistryKeys:
      Originally posted by winehq.org
      AlwaysOffscreen
      Use offscreen rendering for all render targets. The main effect this has is
      avoiding the depth buffer copy between offscreen and onscreen targets, which
      introduces fallbacks in some drivers and exposes bugs in others. There may be a
      performance hit depending on the specific driver. Set to "disabled" to disable.

Comment

Fine, but are there any sound fixes?

Comment

The best audio improvement that you can do in Linux is....remove PulseAudio in any Linux distro that uses it

I just did it in XUBUNTU 12.04 so i can play ETQW with it's native client and finally VOIP doesn't crashes the game.

In Slackware VOIP of ETQW never crashes the game (because Slackware doesn't use that abomination called PulseAudio) but in UBUNTU and derivates, as sure as the Sun goes up tomorrow, it does.

Remove PulseAudio was quite simple actually.

Comment

Not another PulseAudio thread...

The sound stutters in Wine and only in Wine, therefore it is Wine's problem. Not anything else's.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post

The sound stutters in Wine and only in Wine, therefore it is Wine's problem. Not anything else's.
              You do realize that argument works quite the same for pulse: "The sound stutters in Pulse and only in Pulse, therefore it is Pulse's problem. Not anything else's."

Comment

Originally posted by bachinchi View Post
                So, what does this mean?
                It improves performance dramatically in some games, at least on Intel where we hit a fallback. I ran into this a few months ago and did some profiling. See http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...ch/020088.html

Starcraft II performance for me on SNB went from 3 to 25 FPS by enabling AlwaysOffscreen. Now, it's on by default.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post

Actually, for me that NEVER use PulseAudio and only ALSA , the audio NEVER stutters in WINE.

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
                    Actually, for me that NEVER use PulseAudio and only ALSA , the audio NEVER stutters in WINE.
                    Could you please go troll somewhere else? What makes you think that anybody cares that you can manage with just ALSA? PulseAudio is essential for anybody that wants actually usable system or owns modern hardware like bluetooth headsets or multiple soundcards or HDMI monitors or multichannel setups or.... WINE lacking proper PulseAudio is a real problem not so much PA itself.

Comment

Working...
                    X