The Future Of GNOME: Very Optimistic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Future Of GNOME: Very Optimistic?

Phoronix: The Future Of GNOME: Very Optimistic?

Following the controversial information this weekend about some viewing GNOME as fading into abyss and losing relevance on the desktop, Christian Schaller has shared his views on the future of GNOME. In general he is very optimistic about the future of GNOME...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

so while Apple and Microsoft focus on beating each other in the tablet and phone space, maybe the time is ripe for us to strenghten our positions in the server and desktop markets?
    I perfectly agree, so they should focus on building a rock solid desktop environment which builds on all the traditional ideas everyone is used to, instead of a tablet-style interface which is a pain to use for everyone wanting to get some serious work done.
    Last edited by smani; 31 July 2012, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by smani View Post
      I perfectly agree, so they should focus on building a rock solid desktop environment which builds on all the traditional ideas everyone is used to, instead of a tablet-style interface which is a pain to use for everyone wanting to get some serious work done.
      Fun fact: We already had a "rock solid desktop environment" - GNOME 2.2x/2.3x. It's sad to see how things changed.

Comment

"Christian sees advancing the Linux desktop as working on the underlying components rather than just hacking on the GNOME Shell."

that is exactly how i best see gnome improving ~ GS is great (for those who think so) and so is every other Shell or DE built on Gnome, but it is the underlying stuff that should be focused on, as the underlying stuff is what will make gnome better and better. I also like Christian's critique (in his blog post) about 'duplicated efforts', using Gnome's Online Accounts vs. Ubuntu's online accounts as an example.

Originally posted by Weegee View Post
        Fun fact: We already had a "rock solid desktop environment" - GNOME 2.2x/2.3x. It's sad to see how things changed.
        Speak for yourself, rather than asserting your opinion as 'fact'... i prefer Gnome 3 (not using GS) over the old Gnome stack any day of the week
        Last edited by ninez; 31 July 2012, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Instead of OpenGL drivers I would rather have a fully MS Office-compatible suite of applications including a full Exchange mail client and a feature-complete Lync-compatible IM client. And all these should work together in an integrated manner just like the Office suite does. I know that Evolution has some bits and pieces of Exchange support, and that Pidgin supports some Lync features such as chat over SIPE, but there is no integration between them.
          Last edited by alien; 31 July 2012, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ninez View Post
            Speak for yourself, rather than asserting your opinion as 'fact'... i prefer Gnome 3 (not using GS) over the old Gnome stack any day of the week
            I also use GNOME 3 (GS), and the fact that you are using the GNOME Classic mode just confirms my thoughts GNOME 2.32 was a solid piece of software, and GNOME 3 improved this code base by throwing out deprecated parts. However, in the long run the Classic mode will be abandoned by the GNOME devs (at least as far as I know, llvmpipe and such), and the GNOME devs' lunatic views concerning the future of the GNOME desktop brought me to my statement that it's "sad to see how things changed". I'm sorry for my earlier, rather vague post

Comment

I love my Gnome Shell Desktop (with Alternative Status Menu & Dash to Dock extensions of course). I really love the Activity management in Gnome-Shell, and the Overview mode is a much better concept than Windows 8's Metro. It's the best DE, IMO, and I hope that other DEs either copy it's approach or adopt it themselves.

Comment

Glad I'm not the only one who really likes Gnome 3, we seem to a considerably less vocal group...

I have to use Gnome 2 at work in a VM running on a Win7 host, switching between the two is a jarring experience - going into Gnome 2 is like stepping back in time, and that's compared to Windows which has barely changed in almost two decades!

Comment

can we stop bitching around gnome-shell lets make some thread about how bad gnome-shell is, and stop saying its a fact that its bad just because YOU dont like it...

fuckin...

I love gnome-shell but forget about that so there are many people who love it alone here where only 0.001% of the linux users are some guys love gnome-shell so much must love it or the only 10 people who love it must have completly syncronous brains because they all land here in the same thread...

use that what you like more and stop bitching around in each thread about it... it must be a sadistic love hate relationship... I use it I dont bitch always around how much I hate kde/xfce/whatever use it be happy with your alternative and if you liked gnome2 better there are some projects that target that audience in different ways so that all should be happy, you cant force gnome-devs to rewrite gnome2 with gtk-dependencies for you...

you dont need to want instead of xy have something else:

Instead of OpenGL drivers I would rather have a fully MS Office-compatible suite
                  because most opengl developers will not be good in making office suits better and the same way around the same..

But libreoffice does focus very much work on making it more compatible to ms-office... so they are working on your wish, way more that openoffice did ever...

Comment

Originally posted by Weegee View Post
                    I also use GNOME 3 (GS), and the fact that you are using the GNOME Classic mode just confirms my thoughts GNOME 2.32 was a solid piece of software, and GNOME 3 improved this code base by throwing out deprecated parts. However, in the long run the Classic mode will be abandoned by the GNOME devs (at least as far as I know, llvmpipe and such), and the GNOME devs' lunatic views concerning the future of the GNOME desktop brought me to my statement that it's "sad to see how things changed". I'm sorry for my earlier, rather vague post
                    erm, actually NO that doesn't 'confirm your thoughts' - you haven't actually established that my desktop even resembles Gnome 2 - which it does NOT - i don't use gnome-panel at all for one, and i also use AWN + Compiz. My desktop behaves much different than the defacto-gnome2 experience. ~ so you haven't confirmed your thoughts, even in the slightest :\ My desktop is more like a Win7/MacOSX experience than gnome2 was.

As far as i know from talking to several Gnome-devs / redhat employees who work on Gnome - classic mode wasn't to be dropped for some time - but i also don't even know how they plan on doing that being as there are multiple Shells for gnome, so taking out the functionality that allows that all too work, would seem unlikely to happen. Generally, what your are saying just sounds like FUD. Plus, how do they plan to enforce this? - i mean mutter/gnome-shell are just 2 components listed in your .session file, if you want gnome-shell. if you don't want them, you just write (a new session file, like gnome-fallback.session or compiz.session, etc) or just remove them from 'RequiredComponents=' and replace those components with one you do want.

Comment

Working...
                    X