What to expect for 8.01 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tsuru View Post
    I'm running on a lowly Mobility 9600 (M10). I was happy when the new speed boost came with the rewrite however the latest 7-12 has killed performance on 3D apps, namely Wings3D. Further more when I program in OpenGL, accessing framebuffer objects, EXT_framebuffer_object, and VBOs also is generating errors with code known to work in the past.
    Heh... The VBO problems are going to be obnoxious. The FBO stuff may be related to the fact that the Vista/XP drivers didn't have pretty much any of that properly implemented when they shipped (and I think it's still not 100% there on those platforms...).

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      Are you talking about corruption around the cursor and in the lower right hand corner, or some other kind of artifacts ?
      Around cursor mainly but there's weird corruption also in window corners. I'll do couple screenshots later today.

Comment

Originally posted by Compxpert View Post
        I'm sorry but exactly what do you all need XV for. I use opengl for video. Is XV better or something.
        With 7.12, (radeon X1650, Xorg 7.2), opengl performance are quite bad (100% CPU for a 720p/x264 clip). With XV (and tearing ), CPU usage is about 30%

Note that opengl perf were much better with 8.42.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          Best expect nothing, then you will not be disappointed

Not really - expecting nothing is quite optimistic, they will introduce new bugs just so that they can say "We added new features".

Comment

Originally posted by givemesugarr View Post
            well, there was a report of someone getting the 1650x1080 to work after forcing the prefered mode via a specified modeline in the modes section. try looking at the last pages of the 7.12 thread and you could try out the howto about extracting the modeline from your xorg.log and try use it as indicated there. maybe you'll be lucky and have it work.
            xv seems to work but only for some boards but it's slow when it does.
            Thanks for the pointer - I read that thread too. ;-)

I've been hacking about with x config files for years and am just getting used to the fact that I don't need to (very much) anymore.

Since the bug is already known, I thought that I'd hold off until 8.01, continue using RadeonHD and spend more time with my wife during the holidays.

BTW I really do mean thanks for the pointer - you've been a star helping people out on the list!

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Compxpert View Post
              I'm sorry but exactly what do you all need XV for. I use opengl for video. Is XV better or something.
              Xv is the standard interface for accelerated video scaling. Many applications depend on it, there's no excuse for not having it nowadays. It's faster than OpenGL in most cases, too.

Comment

Originally posted by greg View Post
                Xv is the standard interface for accelerated video scaling. Many applications depend on it, there's no excuse for not having it nowadays. It's faster than OpenGL in most cases, too.
                not in the fglrx one...

Comment

It should be faster, other than on an RS690 in 64-bit or on a pre-5xx workstation part where you need to use the overlay for OpenGL workstation apps.

Doesn't hurt to check settings :

- for 5xx and above cores (including RS690) you want "Video Overlay" off and "Textured Video" on -- I don't think the "OpenGL Overlay" setting matters but not 100% sure

If you are having DRM/OpenGL config problems fix those first, since you won't get video acceleration unless the 3d stack is working properly

- for pre-5xx cores (including RS480) you want "Textured Video" off, Video Overlay" on, and "OpenGL Overlay" off.

Pre-5xx video is, afaik, independent of the DRM/3d stack.
                  Last edited by bridgman; 12 January 2008, 01:18 PM.
                  Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    It should be faster, other than on an RS690 in 64-bit or on a pre-5xx workstation part where you need to use the overlay for OpenGL workstation apps.

Doesn't hurt to check settings :

- for 5xx and above cores (including RS690) you want "Video Overlay" off and "Textured Video" on -- I don't think the "OpenGL Overlay" setting matters but not 100% sure

If you are having DRM/OpenGL config problems fix those first, since you won't get video acceleration unless the 3d stack is working properly

- for pre-5xx cores (including RS480) you want "Textured Video" off, Video Overlay" on, and "OpenGL Overlay" off.

Pre-5xx video is, afaik, independent of the DRM/3d stack.
                    my experience on x200m is that opengl 2d-tex-fragprog works faster but with the lines onscreen issue, while 2d-tex works faster but the text is rendered in a very bad way. xv on the contrary works but it's quite slow when compared to opengl. the textured video to me seems to work better set to on in conjuction with texturedxrender on. on the hd2600 instead xv seems to be quite stable and works fine. the opengl has the same issues as on the rs480 (so they're in the driver somewhere) but is faster than xv.
                    on the other board i never tried the 3d acceleration but the overlay is set to xv and it works quite smooth and without any major issues.
                    now, after confronting what i've experienced and what you've proposed as configs it seems that something is not right either in your configs or in mine... or maybe in the driver itself.

Comment

I think we're saying the same thing, except you're seeing that on the 2600 "opengl is faster but not as good quality" ? That may be correct -- what I was trying to say was "textured video should be faster for the same amount of video processing / quality" or something like that, since that's where we put the video-specific code.

On the X200M (RS4xx) I think the recommended settings would be "Textured everything" off and "Video Overlay" on. Textured Video really became a focus with the 5xx+ parts AFAIK. Are you saying that "opengl 2d-tex-fragprog works faster" on x200m than xv with the overlay, or just faster than xv with Textured Video ?
                      Last edited by bridgman; 12 January 2008, 02:52 PM.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X