Wayland's Weston Gets Output Configuration File

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by asdx
    WHY DO WE STILL NEED TO SET THE FUCKING RESOLUTION MANUALLY?!?!
    YOU DON'T!!!

Wayland uses KMS which defaults to the auto-detected native resolution, which will be just fine for ~99% of use-cases (including the Ubuntu-using grandmother you mentioned). This is for the ~1% of users where the default won't be enough...

Comment

No surprise there that the child will make stupid juvenile posts, and sprinkle them with lots of fucks.

To all the "smart" people in this thread, how is the system supposed to know whether I want cloned displays or an extended desktop? And if the latter, whether the second screen should be to the right or bellow the first one? Unless mind-readers were invented when I wasn't looking, it can't. Hence config file. I don't need an xorg.conf to bring the displays up. But I can optionally use one to tell the system that the second display should be below the first, for example.

And a comment like "I shouldn't need to write a config file" only shows your narrow-mindedness. I might opt to use an xorg.conf. But someone else might opt to do clicky-clicky in the KDE/GNOME/Other control centers to achieve the same.
      Last edited by Gusar; 31 July 2012, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Dude, you weren't born when I started with Linux.

I see Wayland/Weston is repeating the same X mistake here, which is a shame.
        Did you even read my post? Why am I asking, of course you didn't, you think making lame "bets" instead of actually addressing the arguments is more l33t or something.

BTW, you lose the bet.
        Last edited by Gusar; 31 July 2012, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Gusar: Just click asdx's username, click "view profile", "add to ignore list", "yes", as I just did.

Comment

asdx, do you even read the articles/comments or just troll? You keep raging about stuff not working if config files aren't there in an article about an /optional/ config file that holds values that can't be auto-detected (tell me how the EDID is supposed to supply my monitor layout) instead insisting that some users can't edit it by hand (nobody is seriously expecting them to; probably 90% of configuration files on modern systems are never hand edited and are only used by the program internally)

I don't know what you seek to gain with your rage filled trolling but the only thing you are gaining is a reputation for being an idiot.

Comment

I think you guys are actually trolling.
              *facepalm*

Comment

INI style configuration files have the advantage of being both easy to parse and easy to edit by hand. If wayland doesn't see widespread adoption it won't be because of a INI file in the reference compositor that the entire thing can function without.

Comment

What kind of file would you like it to save its settings in? INI style is no worse a choice than any other format.

Comment

I was hoping that Wayland/Weston would make better use of KMS and be less than X in the configuration side of things.
                    Weston will happily run with default settings (native resolution for the monitors, etc) without being configured. The problem comes when you want to do something that isn't default. For example, my monitors are auto-configured to have the one that is physically on the left be on the right according to X. This is slightly less than desirable, so there is a configuration file that sets it up properly. The weston one does similar things.

Comment

Yes I read the comments, and I have perfectly valid point here, if you don't like it, then that's your problem. But I think the people who comment here are actually the trolls, not me.
                      In the time you spend here you could have easily installed wayland + weston and tried it yourself. When I start weston I have a perfectly find left/right screen setup with both displays at their preferred/native resolution.

What do you do instead?
                      asdx just rages for a while.

Comment

Working...
                      X