No announcement yet.

KLANG: A New Linux Audio System For The Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah. Painfull but funny at the same time. Given Datenwolfs German accent it reminds me of the unconditional Germab surrendering from WW1. And history repeats it self. After Lennart Poettering set things straight and humiliated the KLANG clowns a subtle level of hate and frustration is emerging. What ever Lennart does a bunch of haters are there to critize and even defaming him on wikipedia. What a bunch of assholes. Well Lennart keeps coding and the clowns keep bitching.

It is really nice KLANG died in its infancy. It would never pass a mainline review anyway. If it ever was implemented. It would end like Reiser4. LOL.

Comment

• I've noticed something when I've watched videos of/attended *nix conferences compared to academic conferences. In academic conferences people sit quietly and listen to you, then ask questions at the end. In the *nix conferences, people seem quite happy to heckle the presenter, I've seen somebody call out "That's bullshit".

I can't find a compelling reason for a member of the audience to heckle/shout out instead of waiting until the end to raise their queries/concerns. Can anybody explain this discrepancy?

Comment

• Originally posted by archibald View Post
        I've noticed something when I've watched videos of/attended *nix conferences compared to academic conferences. In academic conferences people sit quietly and listen to you, then ask questions at the end. In the *nix conferences, people seem quite happy to heckle the presenter, I've seen somebody call out "That's bullshit".

I can't find a compelling reason for a member of the audience to heckle/shout out instead of waiting until the end to raise their queries/concerns. Can anybody explain this discrepancy?
        Programmers are arrogant assholes.

Comment

• Originally posted by archibald View Post
          I've noticed something when I've watched videos of/attended *nix conferences compared to academic conferences. In academic conferences people sit quietly and listen to you, then ask questions at the end. In the *nix conferences, people seem quite happy to heckle the presenter, I've seen somebody call out "That's bullshit".

It is quite easy. At an academic conference you would expect a lecture by people who have merits. This is not the case here. It is just a dude with a microphone proposing some uneducated shit to an audience. Luckily a smarter guy turned up and set things straight. Sure it is not funny to have your incompetence exposed like Datenwolf had but i cant think of a reason why it shouldnt be spelled out.

Could Lennart be more nice? Maybe. But he did us all a favor and dismantled this shit bomb of incompetence. Personaly I like the drama because it will make the clowns do better jobs. Lennart might show up and speak the truth

I guess the udev forksters might be next in line for such a treat.

Comment

• Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTdUmlGxVo0

I think this is it. It is almost painful to watch.
            On the technical side, yes. Lennart had to put many of the details that Draxinger said right, as far as the inner-workings were conserned.

On the other hand, I think the point of the whole session got kind of lost in the arguments between the two people. I undestand Lennart that he is writing software for a larger group of people, and for that he must keep the whole system more complex. The problem is that if everything is interdependent on everything, there is no way to "dumb back" the system for those who are bothered by the additional functionality (and there are many of those people too). All Draxinger is saying is that Linux should keep its software less interdependent, and if not, at least it should always work (which is clearly much more difficult).

The same way Draxinger is forgetting people with more complex needs, Lennart is forgetting people with simpler needs. Why is it bad if people get more than what they need? Because all the inherent complexity and automatism is more likely to cause annoyance. "It is free software, so don't complain" is invalid here, because Lennart is writing the kind of software that, if adopted, allows him to dictate the direction of pretty much the whole Linux ecosystem, so he is not allowed to be that "selfish".

And last, I'd like to dismiss Lennart's argument about everybody being allowed to alter his software. As Draxinger pointed it out, it won't work, because everything is too interdependent. If Draxinger wanted to supply a patch that enables network functionality for D-Bus, extending/altering it, he would have to alter all the other software too, including the login manager, the sound daemon, session/seat manager etc. All because the original plans for D-Bus were somewhat short-sighted (about not accounting for network functionality). And similarly, if somebody wants to simplify just one thing, the desktop will break. So for basically any non-trivial change, someone would have to adapt countless other software too. All because Lennart's "in control" of all the basic software (btw, I think that is what Draxinger meant when he said "... you are doing too much work").

So Draxinger might have been a little humiliated on the technical side, but I find his motivations very valid.
            Last edited by ultimA; 24 January 2013, 11:13 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
              Yeah. Painfull but funny at the same time. Given Datenwolfs German accent it reminds me of the unconditional Germab surrendering from WW1. And history repeats it self.
              Don't compare such topic with a comlex topic like WW1 if don't have any clue. A suitable quote for this: "Wenn man keine Ahnung hat: Einfach mal Fresse halten" - Dieter Nuhr

Comment

• One thing I recommend for this project is to remove support for FreeBSD kernel

Comment

• Originally posted by ninez View Post
                  Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                  Hm, ok, let me approach it from the other side. I'm not trying to teach you, just sharing thoughts.
                  again, I already know the difference - i don't need a lesson (yet again). my comment was only geared at your terrible terminology, that being 'fake analog', which i think is a somewhat useless term, that wouldn't be used in any definition of 'floating point'.

you don't need to continue, pointing out fairly obvious things to someone whom already understands these concepts, especially when i have already explained to you that I don't need you to educate me on a subject. :\
                  Ninez, it's nice that you know all this stuff, but to me, what crazycheese said was incredibly helpful in understanding what's going on and I'm enjoying everyone sharing their knowledge.

Comment

• Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                    Originally posted by archibald View Post
                    Originally posted by artivision View Post
                    Audio is a stream not a Virus.
                    Justin Bieber. That is all.
                    Virulent stream of shit?
                    It's his fault for letting him into his music library.

Comment

• ?News

Today I got aware that Reddit found KLANG, and now it spreads all over the Linux news. This was totally unprecedented and unplanned.
                      First and foremost: KLANG has not been officially announced yet!
                      Please keep this in mind when discussing potential outcome of the project. So far this homepage was meant merely as a placeholder that people, who I was discussiong this project with, could bookmark. Since this project has now got some unplanned exposure I'll see, that I get a preliminary design document up ASAP.?

Comment

Working...
                      X