Catalyst keeps resetting overscan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catalyst keeps resetting overscan

I installed Catalyst to get my Radeon video card to stop running so hot, and that problem was solved. Went from around 170 F down to something reasonable and is much quieter. However, now I have a new problem...

Every time I start X, I have to start up the Catalyst control center again, and move the "Scaling Options" slider to the left and then to the right again -- it shows a proper 0% overscan value at first but isn't actually doing that until I reset it, it's actually back at its default, somewhere right between 15% and 0%. It then works properly until I exit X, and I have to fix it again the next time I start X...

I remember on Windows, Catalyst did this by default too, although the important difference being that it actually remembered me disabling it. Why is this a default option though? Do that many people really need it? Almost everyone is using LCD monitors these days...

An apparently known issue for both platforms, indeed. Included should be the solution, bolded part, from http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33991741...
    7. sudo aticonfig --initial -f
    8. sudo aticonfig --vs=on
    9. sudo aticonfig --set-pcs-u32=MCIL,HWUVD_H264Level51Support,1
    (Optional 9b. if you have black bars normally, disable underscan (always after lightdm has stopped): sudo aticonfig --set-pcs-val=MCIL,DigitalHDTVDefaultUnderscan,0)
    I've found that you must restart immediately after this configuration in order for it to work.

Comment

Originally posted by Prince781 View Post
      An apparently known issue for both platforms, indeed. Included should be the solution, bolded part, from http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33991741...

I've found that you must restart immediately after this configuration in order for it to work.
      Wow, that did it. The first time I didn't open catalyst though and reset the overscan value, and the command didn't work, though I'm not sure if that's why or if I didn't end X quickly enough. Either way it worked the second time, I fixed it through the Catalyst control center first, then did the command, and immediately logged out of the X session.

Thanks a lot!

Comment

I just wanted to point out that the most recent version of catalyst changed the name of the command. If "--set-pcs-val" doesn't work, you can find the new one by checking the aticonfig --help. If it works, then no trouble.
        I ran into this on my media center, which I'm using catalyst on until the power management improves on the OS drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by benmoran View Post
          I just wanted to point out that the most recent version of catalyst changed the name of the command. If "--set-pcs-val" doesn't work, you can find the new one by checking the aticonfig --help. If it works, then no trouble.
          I ran into this on my media center, which I'm using catalyst on until the power management improves on the OS drivers.
          Thanks for this. I used set-pcs-bool instead and it worked.

Comment

Working...
          X