Catalyst 12.6 Installation on Natty | Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catalyst 12.6 Installation on Natty | Questions

I am running Ubuntu Natty (verison 11.04) inside Vmware Workstation with the host operating system being Windows 7.

My Graphics Card is ATI Radeon HD 5870

I used the instructions available here:

Downloaded the latest driver from ATI/AMD site.

Placed it inside a new empty folder. Ran the script which in turn installed the dependencies and created 4 new *.deb packages.

Installed the deb packages and everything went through properly.

However, next I followed by running this command:

sudo amdconfig --initial -f

and it says:

amdconfig: No supported adapters detected

I get the same error, if I try, sudo aticonfig --initial as well.

I noticed that we can manually create a /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and add a device section with details specific to our GPU. However, isn't this file supposed to be created itself during the driver installation?

Does this have something to do with me running Ubuntu 11.04 inside a Virtual Machine and so it is not able to detect the hardware? I don't think that this should be the issue though.

You can NOT install native drivers inside a vmware. You need a native install or just install vmware drivers.

Comment

Thanks. I had a hunch that it might be related to me installing drivers inside a Vmware.

So, is there a separate set of ATI/AMD drivers for the graphics card for the VmWare? I wanted to know since it would be great if I could install them inside a Vmware than going for a full fledged installation of the Linux on my machine

Comment

Those drivers are from vmware and not related to amd in any way!

Comment

Working...
        X