Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AHCI vs. IDE Linux Performance Benchmarks

Phoronix: AHCI vs. IDE Linux Performance Benchmarks

Hitting OpenBenchmarking.org this weekend are some interesting benchmarks comparing performance of AHCI vs. IDE modes under Linux from an AMD Fusion system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

For an evolution of a standard it sure looks dissapointing from those benchmarks

Comment

Suicide

It is too bad that libata maintainer Andre Hedrick recently committed suicide.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        It is too bad that libata maintainer Andre Hedrick recently committed suicide.

https://lwn.net/Articles/508222/
        Ouch...who's stepping forward to take his place, as this is an important library?

Comment

I suppose this is a typical 5400 rpm HDD so it's kind of expected that it doesn't make much difference. Try the same thing with a fast SSD and see if the results are the same.

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
            Ouch...who's stepping forward to take his place, as this is an important library?
            I don't know. Perhaps Jeff Garzik?

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
              I suppose this is a typical 5400 rpm HDD so it's kind of expected that it doesn't make much difference. Try the same thing with a fast SSD and see if the results are the same.
              I agree with that

Comment

With disk drives, AHCI is not so much about performance, but about SATA (like hotswapping.) With fast disks, there's a bit of a performance advantage with non-sequential reads due to NQC, but it's not much (it's limited compared to SCSI.) However, it also helps the drive's read head live longer as it travels less.

Note that SSDs don't have heads, so NQC is useless here. Access to the higher bandwidth however, is useful for fast SSDs.

Comment

Your description is wrong, first it's NCQ and it is not limited to reads:

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
                    You've got it backwards. For slower drives, NCQ should help a lot, as heads won't have to seel as much. However, in my experience the difference is no noticeable.
                    For SSDs, NCQ means nothing.
                    Other AHCI improvements are not about speed (afaik).

Comment

Working...
                    X