Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haiku Looks To Leverage More Of Mesa

Phoronix: Haiku Looks To Leverage More Of Mesa

Haiku OS, the open-source operating system that's a re-implementation of BeOS, is continuing to look at leveraging more of Mesa for its 3D/OpenGL rendering...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I have a vain hope of Haiku improving Mesa in ways that benefits Linux too.

Comment

The following changes have happened since 2010 (I started the work on Haiku Mesa3D in early 2012)

1) Mesa pulled out of Haiku tree (we had a fork)
      2) Mesa 7.6.1 upgraded to 7.8.2 for gcc2, and 8.1-devel for gcc4
      3) Software Rasterization add-on was split in two (one "swrast_legacy" / 7.8.2 for gcc2 and one "swrast" / 8.1-devel for gcc4)
      4) All of Haiku's software rendering code was re-written for newer gcc's (the swrast renderer addons use non-public api code that can (and does) change)
      5) An early ring buffer for accepting 3D rendering data was added to radeon_hd

It really isn't a small amount of work for one developer who works on Haiku in his shrinking freetime

I have a Gallium3D softpipe renderer in progress as well (not upstream yet though)

I also gained commit access to Mesa3D / Gallium3D a few months ago.
      Last edited by kallisti5; 29 July 2012, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kallisti5 View Post
        It really isn't a small amount of work for one developer who works on Haiku in his shrinking freetime
        Do you think any of your work will benefit other platforms which use Mesa such as Linux?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Do you think any of your work will benefit other platforms which use Mesa such as Linux?
          Not completely likely.. although I have found / fixed a few silly Mesa / RadeonHD bugs as i've been working on the Haiku code.

Comment

erm,

Originally posted by kallisti5 View Post
            Not completely likely.. although I have found / fixed a few silly Mesa / RadeonHD bugs as i've been working on the Haiku code.
            Thats a "yes", not a "no".

Last edited by d4ddi0; 29 July 2012, 10:18 PM. Reason: speeling

Comment

Working...
            X