Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Support For OpenGL Core Contexts

Phoronix: Mesa Support For OpenGL Core Contexts

There was exciting OpenGL 3/4 news yesterday for Mesa when it came to early but yet-to-be-merged support for OpenGL geometry shaders, but that's not all the new Mesa GL news this week. Patches were also published to provide support for OpenGL Core contexts for OpenGL 3.1 and newer...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Surprised that there are no comments on this. This is exciting stuff, guys! Core contexts are the only real thing we're missing from GL 3.1 (besides UBOs, which I think are mostly done), and the only thing besides GLSL 1.50 and geometry shaders that are missing from GL 3.2. At this rate, we could have OpenGL 3.3 support in Mesa for the first stable release of 2013!

Comment

At this rate, we could have OpenGL 3.3 support in Mesa for the first stable release of 2013!
      I think that full support would be most excellent, but highly unlikely.

One thing I don't quite understand, is why people are doing work out of order. I'm sure there's a logical answer to be made for the easier to implement features, but on others, I'm not sure.

I would imagine that Mesa 8.2 will be OpenGL 3.1 compliant, and Mesa 8.3 will be OpenGL 3.3 compliant. After that, who knows.

There is still one item left partially incomplete from OpenGL 3.0 land:

glVertexAttribI commands ~50% done (converts int values to floats)
      Last edited by halfmanhalfamazing; 30 July 2012, 12:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post

One thing I don't quite understand, is why people are doing work out of order. I'm sure there's a logical answer to be made for the easier to implement features, but on others, I'm not sure.
        It's mostly done based on ease of implementation or personal itch. E.g., if you are working on one feature and a later feature is just an minor change to that one, it's easy to implement both at the same time.

Comment

(...)

I would imagine that Mesa 8.2 will be OpenGL 3.1 compliant, and Mesa 8.3 will be OpenGL 3.3 compliant. After that, who knows.
          GL 3.3 support in early 2013 (Mesa 8.2) is far from a certainty, but I wouldn't say it's "highly unlikely". Look at the list you linked to. Now, some corrections to that list:
          • Uniform buffer objects (GL_ARB_uniform_buffer_object) have been in progress for a while. In fact, they might even be complete and working in the i965 driver by now; I haven't checked lately.
          • "Forward compatible context support/deprecations" and "Core/compatibility profiles" are almost the same thing from a driver implementation perspective, and this article is about work beginning on this feature.
          • Work on geometry shaders is being done by me right now and will definitely be done well before next year.

That leaves GLSL 1.50 and multisample textures as the only non-started things. With that in mind, GL 3.3 doesn't seem so far off and could possibly happen by Mesa 8.2, the first stable release of 2013.

There is still one item left partially incomplete from OpenGL 3.0 land:
          That one says "50% done" because it's not implemented in an ideal way, but it still works. I wouldn't really call it "incomplete".

Comment

Work on geometry shaders is being done by me right now and will definitely be done well before next year.
            Well, let me put it to you like this: Thank you for what you're doing.

And for the clarifications, It's certainly a welcome update.

Comment

Working...
            X