GNOME 4.0, GNOME OS Coming In 2014 & Other Crazy Plans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Both GNOME and KDE keep focusing on things that they never had to touch in the first place, such as how they both have their own office suites
    GNOME never had an office suite. There are a few individual office-related applications developed withing the GNOME community but there has never been an actual office suite by GNOME.

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
    Why does everyone always want to create their own OS? GnomeOS, FirefoxOS, ChromeOS, etc. One of the chief complaints from most projects is lack of developers, but somehow a desktop specific OS will somehow make things better? Doesn't that require more developers and fragment existing developers? What does a custom OS buy you other than more stuff to support directly and less chance to share the load?
    I've read so many conflicting messages about GNOME OS, I'm not really sure the GNOME community even has a uniform idea what it actually is.
    The slides talk about GNOME OS being a real distribution, while I've heard other interpretations that GNOME OS is not supposed to be actual software but more of a holistic vision (I've interpreted it as ?We'd like a GNOME-running OS to behave like XY but the actual implementation is other people's task?).

Comment

Just because Krita has a lot of focus it doesn't mean it has ANYTHING to do with KDE as a desktop environment.
      Well it kinda has. Having excellent applications is absolutely essential for the success of open source desktops and Krita is one of the best. Not only that but the projects also share quite a bit of code.

Jhen there's no backend and all alternatives are insufficient (or unmaintainable), then create something new. Correct me if I'm wrong but I doubt that applied to koffice.
      Like I said it's 11 years old project and it makes it older than OpenOffice.org. Also KOffice/Calligra share plenty of its code with other projects. First of all all the components of Calligra share most of the code together. This includes Krita, Karbon, Braindump, Words, Flow, Kexi, Plan, Stage, Sheets and Words. Some of these applications also have mobile interfaces. Then the next level would be toolkits and other shared dependecies. These include Qt, kdelibs, lcms and numerous other libaries. Also considering in how horrible state LibreOffice is (that's why there have been insane ammount of clean ups lately but it's still 12 million line monster compared to 1 million line Calligra Suite).

And yea obviously you can still use calligra on gnome or other platforms, that isn't my point. I'm not sure if calligra is in the same situation as K3B but if it is, I shouldn't have to download an ADDITONAL 300MB of packages to use an office suite. If it just uses Qt libraries and nothing else then fine, NBD.
      LibreOffice alone takes around 200MBs and that doesn't even include all of its dependecies. If you don't have any of the libaries that Calligra needs then I guess it could take over 200MBs but even that is going get better with the upcoming release of KF5 (modularization of kdelibs). However few hundred megabytes is nothing nowadays when hard drives cost nothing. I think you are kinda contradicting your own point if you believe that it's a good thing that software only depends on Qt or something similar. I mean then it has to implement a lot of stuff that already exist as independent libaries itself. If you are somehow allergic to KDE or Gnome libaries then it's your own problem. However saying that these applications are forcing themselves to become a part of desktop enviroment is just wrong. I mean seriously most of the KDE applications are available for Windows... and they work.

Comment

So they're basically abandoning all attempts to be a DE - well that's just great, they still haven't worked out that a DE is exactly what the people want, D as in Desktop, not M for Mobile or W for Web, D!

Project is pretty much doomed with these muppets running the show, could perhaps be salvaged is something happened now but well, we've seen their future plans :/

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
          Eh... there are 450000 Qt developers around the world and it's used very widely in the industry. From Wikipedia:It's also base of the GENIVI Alliances (BMW Group, Delphi, GM, Intel, Magneti-Marelli, PSA Peugeot Citroen, Visteon, and Wind River Systems) automotive in-vehicle infotainment systems and all of this is just scratching the surface. Projects like Chrome and Firefox both have their own toolkits and only use GTK+ on Linux for better integration.
          How was that number of developers decided upon?
          Qt is not part of the Genivi requirments (see Ubuntu Core and Mentor IVI, the former usew gtk, the later its own toolkit, and both are Genivi v2 compliant).
          Regarding the browsers, isnt that telling that rather than use the most advanced, easieat to use, flexible, powerful, performant toolkit out there, each choose to make there own instead (except on linux where they went with gtk)?

Comment

Personally, I think that Gnome is going fail horribly if it doesn't return to the VERY basics of marketing : Who is your TARGET MARKET?

Everytime they speak, it sounds to me as though they are saying:

"You know how we tried to please everyone. Well, it turns out that everyone isn't quite happy with our product. But, even though the strategy we've been using up to this point has been costing us users we're not going to change it. Instead, we're going to TRY HARDER. And then, everyone will see how awesome we really are, and how stupid they were for wanting to use anything else, and they'll come running back, and Bill Gates will start using Gnome and all the bad guys will repent and turn to the Gnome way of life, and we'll all live in a world full of rainbows and unicorns."

As long as they live in this dream that it's impossible to take on the entire world by themselves, they will simply get more and more marginalized. Instead, figure out who you are, what you can bring to the table, and work WITH the other DE's so that everyone can use whatever software combinations and configurations that they want.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
              That picture is in extremely poor taste.
              Indeed...and kinda represents the future of GNOME as things seem to go

The text on it also reminds me some phrases in the game FALLOUT 3

Comment

How was that number of developers decided upon?
                You would probably have to ask that from Qt project.

Qt is not part of the Genivi requirments (see Ubuntu Core and Mentor IVI, the former usew gtk, the later its own toolkit, and both are Genivi v2 compliant).
                To me it seems that the Qt based IVIs are the only ones that are actively developed.

Regarding the browsers, isnt that telling that rather than use the most advanced, easieat to use, flexible, powerful, performant toolkit out there, each choose to make there own instead (except on linux where they went with gtk)?
                Browser have very specific needs and are more concerned with consistency between platforms than integrating to each and everyone perfectly. Firefox and probably Chrome are not really using GTK+ as a toolkit but rather a simple mean of integrating better to the system. They don't seem to use any/many GTK+ widgets for example. Chrome has also moved futher and futher away from GTK+ and Firefox and Chrome OS seem to have ditched Clutter completely.

Comment

I think Gnome is falling over slow minded ~ weird hands. There isn't any vission in their plans, but to follow the current market trends in 2020!!! I din't like what I read.
                  On the other hand, and I don't want to be bad, I know that some of the companies in the picture about the future of gnome receive state subsidy on countries which are very affected by the current crysis.
                  Last edited by peperoni; 29 July 2012, 07:18 AM.

Comment

Oh look, yet another delusional GNU project.

Comment

I'm not sure how they did it, but I think slide #7 got every single one of the GNOME 3 users into one space for the picture.

trololo

Comment

Working...
                      X