Intel Mesa Driver Ups Counter-Strike Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kayden View Post
    I think this was with Wine, sorry. Matt had been working with CS:S long before Valve ever announced any Linux plans. Still, the change should help regardless!
    Indeed, in WINE. Although, I really would like to have native ports of Counter-Strike: Source and Day of Defeat: Source. I've been playing both in WINE on Sandy Bridge and getting pretty good performance.

Comment

Valve said they had handed Intel the Source Engine source code, so this performance gain must be about the native Linux version of CS:S.

Comment

The i5 2500k (Ivybridge) hardware can handle at least OpenGL 4.0, as far as I'm aware. It's purely software that limits it to 3.0.
        Good luck fixing/improving your software then.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
          Valve said they had handed Intel the Source Engine source code, so this performance gain must be about the native Linux version of CS:S.
          Yup, because the person actually responsible for the change, telling you it was for Wine, right above your post, must be wrong. After all, this is The Internet.

Comment

L4D is a good game... but I can't wait for CS:GO to be released on Linux. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
              Oh, Phoronix Forums. I wonder why I visit you.

Comment

The i5 2500k (Ivybridge) hardware can handle at least OpenGL 4.0, as far as I'm aware. It's purely software that limits it to 3.0.
                The i5 2500k is Sandy Bridge, not Ivy Bridge. The hardware is not capable of OpenGL 4 as far as I'm aware.

Comment

Originally posted by gigaplex View Post
                  The hardware is not capable of OpenGL 4 as far as I'm aware.
                  You know, he's the guy that did the Ivy Bridge bring-up...

Comment

Originally posted by mattst88 View Post
                    You know, he's the guy that did the Ivy Bridge bring-up...
                    I don't follow what you're suggesting here. You cropped out the part of my comment which states the i5 2500k is not Ivy Bridge. Ivy Bridge does support OpenGL 4.0, Sandy Bridge does not.

Comment

Sigh. Learn to read, people. That's why Kayden replied, and I quote:

Oops, right, thanks. I was thinking HD 2500, not the i5 2500 (sigh, product names).

Yeah, the i5 2500K is Sandybridge which can do GL 3.3. Ivybridge can do GL 4.
                      It's confusing, even to Intel developers.

Comment

Working...
                      X