Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Is Losing Relevance On The Linux Desktop

Phoronix: GNOME Is Losing Relevance On The Linux Desktop

By now many of you have likely seen the blog post by GNOME's Benjamin Otte where he argues that GNOME is staring into the abyss, but if you have not, it's worth reading...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So, not even considering KDE? I'd love to know your reasoning. I'm genuinely curious, since I have been using KDE at work for some time (on and off). I'd like to know what a Gnome user thinks about KDE.

Comment

Re

Never thought of KDE as an alternative?
      Just once go through all it's "System Settings" and if you don't fall in love than go for the other Desktop Environments...

Comment

Why dont use linux compatible laptop

I prefer Linux compatible laptop like those of fujistus or dell or hp instead of virtualized distro on top of mac. debian is best option.

Comment

If gnome 3 hadn't fucked up the UX and user interface maybe there wouldn't have been a need for this.

My hope lies to E17 people (and someone that will make a theme without blink)

Comment

Unity is excellent. I used to switch distros often, but the distro wars are basicly over for me. Ubuntu is done well, and whenever I hear someone saying it was bloated or whatever, I laugh at them.

Comment

projects and problems

every project face a lot of problems in front. highlignting and brainstorming helps to solve them.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                Unity is excellent. I used to switch distros often, but the distro wars are basicly over for me. Ubuntu is done well, and whenever I hear someone saying it was bloated or whatever, I laugh at them.
                I'm in the same boat.

Comment

I really don't like GNOME 3.x , KDE 4.x and even worse , UNITY.

For me is for a long time already XFCE or LXDE.
                  Last edited by AJSB; 28 July 2012, 07:39 AM.

Comment

In the past, I've always installed Gnome on the computers that are too old or slow for KDE, or otherwise, the computers that I have to KNOW is not going to crash.

But, ever since KDE 4.7, even my 7 year old PC that I'm using as a server/media-center is running it perfectly happily without needing a single reboot. With all the eye candies and everything working perfectly. And for the REALLY old 10/12 year old laptops, that are still refusing to die, I put Xfce on, because it has become feature rich enough to keep me perfectly happy, while running incredibly smoothly.

But the thing is that both KDE and Xfce know who they are, and what they are trying to accomplish. And if you fall outside of their target markets: So what? Use what makes you happy. But, Gnome has this mentality of trying to please everyone at once. Which, admittedly, they sort-of managed to do in the past. But, the technology world is rapidly becomes so huge, and diversified that I don't think it's an option anymore. Now, more than ever, you have to know who you are, who your target market is, and what you can bring to the table that no one else can.

For Gnome's sake, I seriously hope that they can cultivate some good leadership that will (re)define the role they have to play in the grand scheme of linuxy things.

Comment

Working...
                    X