Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open-Source Doom 3 Running On Wayland

Phoronix: Open-Source Doom 3 Running On Wayland

The dhewm3 engine, which is one of the open-source forks of the id Tech 4 engine similar to ioDoom3, is now working on Wayland...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice to see it running.

Anyone have the hardware specs that was running on for comparison? I'd mostly like to know if there's a cost/benefit of running this game on Wayland vs. over X.

Also, the end of the video highlights why mouse capture support is a requirement for gaming

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
      Anyone have the hardware specs that was running on for comparison? I'd mostly like to know if there's a cost/benefit of running this game on Wayland vs. over X.
      Well, that was captured with weston running on x11 because I ran into an issue with weston straight on drm. On top of that, the capture process slowed the game down a little.
      So no real numbers to compare yet. Once I cleanup and push my wayland patches for SDL2 you're welcome to try yourself.

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
      Also, the end of the video highlights why mouse capture support is a requirement for gaming
      Indeed, and in fact I posted this video in #wayland for that reason, because such a mouse grab is currently not implemented in wayland.

Comment

Awesome

I love this video.
        It strengthens my hope that soon we can get rid of old X.
        X did its contribution to linux, but linux needs to move on to the next level.
        I know replacing X with Wayland brings its own challenges, but It also makes the development much easier, both for driver and desktop developers (Gtk, Qt, etc).
        X is way too complex that slows down progression.
        Also it's time for canonical to step in and contribute to wayland instead of just watching it. If they don't they are stupid!
        Beleieve me or not canonical has the power to make wayland a mainstream topic. Only after that companies like Nvidia and AMD start to take it seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by sepisoad View Post
          I love this video.
          It strengthens my hope that soon we can get rid of old X.
          X did its contribution to linux, but linux needs to move on to the next level.
          I know replacing X with Wayland brings its own challenges, but It also makes the development much easier, both for driver and desktop developers (Gtk, Qt, etc).
          X is way too complex that slows down progression.
          Also it's time for canonical to step in and contribute to wayland instead of just watching it. If they don't they are stupid!
          Beleieve me or not canonical has the power to make wayland a mainstream topic. Only after that companies like Nvidia and AMD start to take it seriously.
          Canonical contributes and plans to implement wayland in one of the next releases. Some apps (ie firefox) seem not to care so much about it but there is still plenty of time.

Comment

Compared to the original DOOM 3, the changes of dhewm 3 worth mentioning are:
            • 64bit port
            • SDL for low level OS support, OpenGL and input handling
            • OpenAL for audio output, all OS specific audio backends are gone
            • OpenAL EFX for EAX reverb effects (read: EAX on all platforms)
            • A portable build system based on CMake
            • (Cross-)compilation with mingw-w64
            dhewm 3 main repository. Contribute to dhewm/dhewm3 development by creating an account on GitHub.

That is basically everything I wanted from a Doom 3 source port. Can not wait until it is stable.

Comment

I bow to your magnificent coding 5|<1llz! Fantastic work!

Comment

As Shuttleworth already stated he plans to take Ubuntu proprietary some where down the road I hope they stay out of it all together.

Comment

Originally posted by jvillain View Post
                  As Shuttleworth already stated he plans to take Ubuntu proprietary some where down the road I hope they stay out of it all together.

Comment

Originally posted by jvillain View Post
                    Sauce of that comment as that's taking it out on a limb

Comment

Working...
                    X