Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

People incorrectly assume that AMD drivers suck. They don't.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dandel View Post
    The only "affordable" compliance test end users can try is called piglit... see it here: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/piglit/
    interesting...

Comment

It's also a fact that the AMD blob fails significantly more piglit tests than the open drivers. Also piglit exposed that AMD blob is not thread safe, lol

Comment

You get GPU hangs with Nvidia hardware as well with some piglit tests. Just different ones.

Comment

There is a missing feature: bindless graphics. Brink engine (Id tech 4-based) uses one (page 31).

PS I'm a happy AMD user

Comment

I had an ATI card. I either got the closed source drivers so I could game, but had tearing video and slow 2d, or have the opensource with no tearing and fast 2d but slow 3d and I couldn't game.

So I get an nvidia, and could do both. My conclusion? Nvidia is better on linux, so I use it. I would love to get an AMD card since they're usually better bang for buck, but I can't.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
              You get GPU hangs with Nvidia hardware as well with some piglit tests. Just different ones.
              That's... just awful. How the fuck do they both with their huge driver teams and decades of writing drivers never test two apps running at once?

Comment

Originally posted by boast View Post
                I either got the closed source drivers so I could game, but had tearing video
                http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=15655
                and slow 2d
                http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTExMTY
                So I get an nvidia, and could do both. My conclusion? Nvidia is better on linux, so I use it.
                Even TearFree video playback under compositing environment with nVidia proprietary drivers? Not likely. Even nVidia employees confirm that can not be TearFree (I would like to give proof-link, but nvnews forum is down).

Comment

that's right, they don't suck that much

AMD user here. i've had a laptop with an AMD graphics card or a long time. i haven't had huge stability issues. there were problems sometimes when suspend would cause blank screen on resume, for which a fix wasn't released for months. 2D is also worse than the open source driver. but, in general the driver is quite stable and 3D works amazingly well (infact, there was a huge boost in performance going from 11.8 to 12.3)

Comment

perhaps phoronix should publish piglit comparisons instead of/as well as performance benchmarks......

EDIT
                    aside from hw video decoding the radeon driver is perfectly adequate for my needs

Comment

The blob has always been difficult to install for me but once it is I have had few problems. I did have tearing on one machine, but I also had the same thing when I tried the Nvidia blob with my onboard graphics card.

Regardless, I use the R600 Gallium3D driver on my main machine for desktop use and for gaming and find it to be the most stable of them all with the least issues. All it needs is better power management and faster 3D support, but both are certainly acceptable for me at the moment and can only really improve.

Though I will say I am impressed with the Intel shipped with my brother's Lenovoe 3000 N200. Not so happy with the one in our living room computer, but that thing is quite ancient.

Comment

Working...
                      X