Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

People incorrectly assume that AMD drivers suck. They don't.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes AMD is a Better OS Partner!

You are right AMD has been doing allot for Linux the last few years. Another of my pet peeves!!! RPM is not a bad package management system! Yes 8 years ago there was an issue that was fixed. Heck i hear new Linux people say they won't touch a RPM distro with a ten foot pole because of dependency hell?????? Who keeps saying this FUD?

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
      The "proper RADEON" driver was doing 5 fps in QuakeArena back then.

And right now, the "proper RADEON" driver performance makes me not want to purchase any mid-high class AMD card.
      In OpenArena with Radeon driver I get 25-30 fps, resolution 1440x900 otherwise default settings; graphiccard: IGP Radeon HD 3200, CPU: AMD Phenom II 545 (2 Core), OS: Fedora 17. This is pretty satisfying for an IGP card and free drivers IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by russofris View Post
        I would, but all of my issues have already been resolved by Applecare. You see, Mac users don't have to "search for the latest news" when we have an issue. We simply call Applecare. It's a completely different ecosystem and philosophy.

Fans running at 100% all the time? Call Applecare.
        Superdrive making a motorboat sound? Call Applecare.
        Batman AA crashes? Call Applecare.
        Keyframe animation borked in Finalcut? Call Applecare
        Font have a kerning issue? Call Applecare

I find the majority of Mac-whine-blogs out there are customers that have recently migrated from the PC world, and do not yet have an understanding of how the Apple support model works. This is not to say that their issues don't exist or are invalid, but that that are choosing to whine rather than accept the assistance that they paid for.

F
        Ah, so the "apple" way of doing things is the blind leading the blind.
        Quite frankly, I'd MUCH rather deal with issues through UNDERSTANDING the cause and solving it with logical analysis, rather than handing remote access over to a retarded teenager on acid working for the ghost of steve jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
          Ah, so the "apple" way of doing things is the blind leading the blind.
          Quite frankly, I'd MUCH rather deal with issues through UNDERSTANDING the cause and solving it with logical analysis, rather than handing remote access over to a retarded teenager on acid working for the ghost of steve jobs.
          But imagine doing that with everything in life. Your car, your air conditioning, your surgeries, your plumbing, etc... Some people have a curious mind to learn stuff, and others just want stuff fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Fenrin View Post
            In OpenArena with Radeon driver I get 25-30 fps, resolution 1440x900 otherwise default settings; graphiccard: IGP Radeon HD 3200, CPU: AMD Phenom II 545 (2 Core), OS: Fedora 17. This is pretty satisfying for an IGP card and free drivers IMHO.
            Hmm, thanks for info! I have 3200 myself inside 785 chipset, but this IGP is too weak for me currently. Is this the new version of OpenArena or an older one?

Comment

I had a radeon 9600 all in wonder... this was about 10 years ago... ATI driver sucked, I still remember that missing GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap .
              Now I have a radeon hd 5670 HD... ATI driver sucks:
              tearing while using vlc or seeing flash videos (this is a shame, we're in 2012 and we can't see a video on a 2,3 ghz dual core cpu!!!!!)
              no bsd support
              too much lag with vsync enabled
              pains when new kernels come out
              doesn't it suck enough?

except for performances the open source driver is a lot better

Comment

Originally posted by kir? View Post
                no bsd support
                It probably depend on what people need more for their money: BSD support or hybrid graphics support. nVidia driver have first but doesn't have second. AMD driver doesn't have first but does have second.
                Bugreport?
                In distributions where new kernel support is important, fglrx packages is already patched to support new kernel. Even Catalyst 12.4 may be patched to support Linux 3.5.

Comment

tearing while using vlc
                  Tear-free + vaapi-xvba? Or xbmc with xvba? SMplayer with gl output?
                  or seeing flash videos
                  Ask Adobe for proper support. Oh wait....
                  (this is a shame, we're in 2012 and we can't see a video on a 2,3 ghz dual core cpu!!!!!)
                  Yeah, people still can't setup their rig properly, unbelievable.
                  no bsd support
                  Ok?
                  Lag where?
                  Dead horse...

Comment

I haven't read a single post in this thread so far, but...

Originally posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
                    Yeah, people still can't setup their rig properly, unbelievable.
                    Why in the name of Popeye should anyone have to "setup their rig" to get _anything_ working properly anymore, much less basic media functionality?

Comment

Originally posted by Dandel View Post
                      The only "affordable" compliance test end users can try is called piglit... see it here: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/piglit/
                      It's not just the only affordable test, it's the only test at all. There is no official OpenGL compliance test suite, nor any third-party commercial ones that I've ever heard of. That's one of the reasons the GL drivers tend to have so many bugs compared to other video drivers: there's no way to actually find or test for bugs aside from waiting for someone to bitch about them. It's been on Khronos' todo list for years, but apparently it's beyond their capabilities.

Maybe they'll adopt piglit as an official test someday.

Comment

Working...
                      X