Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve On Linux To Be Presented In Two Weeks

Phoronix: Valve On Linux To Be Presented In Two Weeks

Left 4 Dead 2 running natively on Linux will be showed off in two weeks from Los Angeles...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Should be very interesting to see

It's been a whie since a major developer ported one of their big franchises to Linux.. as opposed to indie games that don't really take full advantage of OpenGL and hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by asdx
      Nice, hopefully they'll discuss the issues they encountered, and they'll be able to work with the open-source driver developers and also with the hardware vendors and address any problems they find.

I hope they'll find a real solution for the S3TC fiasco too.

In the end, I expect that Valve ports their entire game collection to Linux and that Linux gets top-notch open-source graphics drivers, I also expect the problems with patents (S3TC) to go away.

It would be incredible to see Linux becoming a serious gaming platform and getting better drivers, more market share, etc.
      This is what can help Linux if software developers find issues with the Linux kernel and drivers (OSS and proprietary) and share those findings with the community and driver makers (nvidia/AMD) so that viable fixes can be designed and implemented. Another good thing would be developing toolkits to make porting the games to Linux easier and less error prone so that the games will run just as well or even better on Linux as well as Windows.

Props to Valve for undertaking this effort and maybe soon we'll see other game makers taking the Linux plunge.

Comment

Hopefully they'll release the slides and maybe video from there.

Comment

72.7hz Or Die.

I wrote a little bit about early computing, and the 60hz smoothness of direct-to-hardware assembly-coded machines.

And that low-latency configured (standard) linux kernels can do the same now.

A nice read, for a bit oldschool-info, and the current state of linux.

And why you should low-latency config your linux, before Left4Dead

Peace Be With You.

Comment

"From 6 to 300 FPS"

Wow...that itself says a lot...

Comment

Half a year ago many Phoronix members laughed at the thought of Steam for Linux. Now Valve is one of the biggest Linux pushers we have.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                Hopefully they'll release the slides and maybe video from there.
                That would be great...and maybe a way for others to ask questions via twitter or a blog

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                Half a year ago many Phoronix members laughed at the thought of Steam for Linux. Now Valve is one of the biggest Linux pushers we have.
                Bet it was all the negative criticism and feedback they got that forced their hand, so if all this pans out we should see possible ports of their game library
                Last edited by DeepDayze; 26 July 2012, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                  Pretty awesome, no?

All I can do is send links to people saying "I told you so!"

Comment

Well, it was (is) quite unbelievable, that Valve is committing to Linux. Also, Michael's frequent self-linked coverage didn't help the credibility of these claims, especially as "nothing was happening" for quite a while. I don't suppose most of the haters will come and apologise to Phoronix for shouting "Lies!"...

(While I agree Michael needs to buy his beer somehow, articles like "we will have some Lion vs Linux benchmarks soon" are really quite crap.)

Comment

Working...
                    X