Valve's Gabe Newell Really Hates Windows 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by peperoni View Post
    It seems that the PC industry is in crysis!!!
    Only Windows/Microsoft industry

Comment

• This is so enjoyable!

Comment

• I enjoyed reading the [H] link earlier too. No matter how bad rep Phoronix gets, the discussion here is significantly less biased than there.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by AJSB View Post
            The percentage isn't relevant...i was only exemplifying that it's possible to get IE w/o MS get a dime *directly*.
            As for the ads, in this scenario given by me, is the same situation than for Firefox....both IE and Firefox get revenue from ads.
            The percentage do have relevance because you are right in 0.00001% of the cases and I'm right in 99,x% of the cases....
            Your argumentation is pure hypothetical and be sure Microsoft calculate with the 99% of the cases.
            In 99% of the cases IE gets money from the windows sales and the ads are just an extra profit.

Firefox don't get any money from windows sales only from ads.

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
            Dunno....Valve might bite the bullet and go right now for ARM....best option for them in the long run.
            Just answer this question: why ARM??? MIPS64 is better right now.
            But sure in 2014 ARM is on the same level.

Comment

• Originally posted by sgtGarcia View Post
              Blizzard:
              The heat is starting to turn up on WIndows 8. First Gabe Newell called it a catastrophe for anyone in the PC space. Now Blizzard's head of design has expressed a milder sense of ire. 

+twitter https://twitter.com/Rob_Pardo/status/228235190705729536

Introversion:
              Windows 8 is a problem: in it rush to create a tablet experience, Microsoft are pushing to certify and distribute apps and games through the inbuilt Microsoft store. Developers around the world are starting to understand the implications of Microsoft’s plans, and they’re not happy. We asked Intr

I'm waiting for more <eating popcorn>
              OMG !!!

Thanks to second link !!! I never imagined that it could be THAt bad for XBox360 devs !!!

...and Introversion is RIGHT !!! *Eventually* , MS will do the same with Windows !!!

Comment

• Originally posted by maldorordiscord View Post
                Just answer this question: why ARM??? MIPS64 is better right now.
                But sure in 2014 ARM is on the same level.

You are answering it by yourself....in two more years ARM will be as good or better.

....and to make a console *now* based on MIPS to last only two years it sounds like a waste of resources....not to mention that would be an issue for the buyers to see their product obsolete in only 2 years....

This is assuming that console will be launched *now*.....that might not be correct....might be in 2013 witch makes it even closer to 2014.

OTOH, make a new next gen console *right now* would give an head-start in comparison to XBox720/PS4....but it should already use the arch that is better in the perceived long run....

Interesting times in the PC/Console world indeed....

Comment

• Gabe Newell is not the only Ex-Microsoft employee who thinks bad about Windows 8: Microsoft ex-employee -- Windows 8 is a "catastrophe"

Comment

• Nice and clear article.

Comment

• In response to the many people who seem to think that drivers, games, and lack of preinstallations are the only major things holding linux back...you're forgetting one major thing. Multimedia. Lack of dominance of open codecs (or the existence of software patents depending on how you look at it) and restrictions on cracking encryptions to play legally purchased media is also holding linux back.

Comment

Working...
                      X