Binary Driver Blobs Aren't Yet Ready For Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Temar View Post
    Haha, yeah great idea - let the CPU do all the work and let the GFX chip burn even more power because your precious OSS driver does not even support proper power management.

If you have a 3 core Llano, you probably have a A6-3500. That CPU alone has a TDP of 65 W! Yes, I really can see how this is an alternative for a low power, low noise, HTPC. My Intel Atom system with Nvidia Ion does not even have a fan and it's power supply has a maximum output of 25W.

Have fun with your OSS driver and your crappy HTPC.
    It's a Mini-ITX system with a low-ish wattage power supply. The system is inaudible from where I sit on the sofa. This system is running a full MythTV backend, which includes recording, file serving, commercial flagging, transcoding, and occasional ripping duties.

The Atom was absolutely unacceptable for my purposes, as I also wanted the system to be able to handle some emulation duties as well as the other duties described. An Atom would not have been fast enough for the systems that I wanted to emulate. Brazos probably wouldn't have been fast enough either. Llano is. If all I wanted was a general media playback device, I would've bought something like a Roku.

Some people use their HTPCs as more than just dumb playback devices.

Comment

Originally posted by enrico.tagliavini View Post
      I agree fglrx is not the best solution, of course it is not! Damn the intel driver is a paradise compared to it. I sold every AMD/NVIDIA machine I had to switch to intel. But still fglrx, even it is an half pile of bugged crap, is usefull to someone. Burning it is not a good solution.
      Don't get me wrong, I've used fglrx in the past, even in the recent past. I spent most of last year programming OpenCL code with fglrx and Nvidia's blob. They both did just fine on a single-monitor system that was running in Unity. The performance and power management are the highlights of the blobs in my opinion. I also hope that the radeon kernel drivers get to the point that dynpm can be switched on by default without vblank timing issues, so that laptop users can breathe easier (I had an x300-based laptop that had similar heat issues to you, but I didn't manage to kill it).

Comment

Originally posted by asdx
        I won't address your childish insulting points because I have better things to do with my time.
        no, you won't address them, because you have nothing that is actually valid to discuss :\ I also like how by not addressing them, as far as i am concerned to have validated everything i said. ~ thanks

You're the puke here.

Oh you said you're an Apple user, what a fucking faggot.

Go away douche.
        The least you could do, if your going to try to insult me - is be a little creative (ie: not just repeating what i said to you).

Yes, i own a Macbook Pro - so what? I am into Proaudio - many of the best apps are for Mac (or Windows, but i don't use Windows). I own adobe CS5 and also use some Mac-only apps like Max/MSP, for example. I also need to be able to test on all platforms for work (as a part of my Job). I don't use OSes as a fashion statement or political statement - I use what works the best for my purposes. Linux is my platform of choice, however Apple/MacOSX offers a lot of software, which their are ZERO counterparts for linux, or incredibly crappy alternatives... for some stuff, it is nice to have a Mac around for.

but you can continue with your childish, Juvenile, obtuse points of view if you like

Comment

You guys are a huge disappointment to the Linux community, you won't even respect Linus Torvalds matter on the subject.

Please go and use Windows and stay there if you love close-source blobs so much.

Fuck you, all of you.

I'm done here.

good. leave and don't come back - close your account and..... wait.... wait... wait for it.....

FUCK RIGHT OFF

@everyone else - i think we broke asdx' brain. lol
          Last edited by ninez; 25 July 2012, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Michael, if you do not start moderating posts such as asdx's, I will start getting my Linux updates elsewhere.

Comment

Ok, let's stop with the insults.

What point exactly you want me to address?
              why don't you go back and read them yourself!! why should i have to rewrite paragraphs, when you didn't take the time to address them in the first place, but instead just slung a sentence worth insults?

but it's not only my posts (for example #61) but other users posts as well.

it's pretty much useless, though. I have ZERO respect for you and i have a feeling i am not the only one :\ - and that's been building up since you first started posting in these forums (or at least the first times i saw you posting).

....and what do you know! - someone is already asking Michael to moderate the forums, and specifically is mentioning YOUR NAME.

I won't lie and say that i am not being a dick right now - but straight up - i am sooo sick of people like Q and yourself, who are essentially just in these forums to piss off people and cause problems.
              Last edited by ninez; 25 July 2012, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                Michael, if you do not start moderating posts such as asdx's, I will start getting my Linux updates elsewhere.
                +1

Banning Qaridarium has made these forums a bit more tolerable but I don't think it should end there. Asdx is probably the wost among the worst at the moment with his trollish, insulting and plain idiotic posts that poison the atmosphere of these forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
                  +1

Banning Qaridarium has made these forums a bit more tolerable but I don't think it should end there. Asdx is probably the wost among the worst at the moment with his trollish, insulting and plain idiotic posts that poison the atmosphere of these forums.
                  +1

maybe we should start a ban asdx thread, like people did for Q??

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
                    +1

Another +1, this is beyond ridiculous.

Comment

Yeah feel free to ban me. What do I have to lose? Talking with some douchebags (appletards among them) and open source hypocrites who do nothing but defend Nvidia and their crappy blob.

Fuck you all.
                      we've been over this - you have to do something hypocritical in order to be a hypocrite. People who are using the blobs, or use ANY closed-source software by choice are not hypocrits. they would only be hypocritical had they made the claim they were pure FOSS, while using these blobs. Some education might do you some good. seriously. :\

calling me an appletard doesn't bother me, sorry if you thought it would.

no dice, champ!

Ban yourself from life idiot, go kill yourself. Douche.
                      asdx, that's not very nice :O LOLOLOLOLOL.

sorry if your not used to people calling you on your crap, but if no one is actually going to monitor these forums, maybe a few of us need to put shmuck's like you in their place.

@everyone else - yup, we definitely broke asdx' brain.
                      Last edited by ninez; 25 July 2012, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X