Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 8.1 Will Offer Some Speed Improvements For Nouveau

Phoronix: Mesa 8.1 Will Offer Some Speed Improvements For Nouveau

After last week sharing results for AMD Radeon R600g Gallium3D on Mesa 8.0 and 8.1-devel, here are benchmarks for several NVIDIA GeForce graphics cards comparing the OpenGL Gallium3D performance with Nouveau on Mesa 8.0 stable and Mesa 8.1-devel.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I might be wrong but no matter doesn't include the NVIDIA blob in the comparison , IIRC the blob results , Nouveau is still far away from the blob performance.

Comment

Interesting...as soon as the new Slackware is launched i will try it again.....and will test again with Linux Mint 13 XFCE and Ubuntu....

don't get me wrong, i like the idea of open source drivers and all but performance was real bad with Nouveau (hopefully , will get there soon).

There is only one thing that really really pisses me off with it....in many distros that i test it, it doesn't recognize/set's the refresh rate correctly.

I have a 1280x1024 TFT that to get full image w/o cuts must be at 75Hz....

Nouveau fails completely on that....doesn't matter if it's set to 60Hz or 75Hz....image is the same with a right side cut all to way from top to down

Comment

Setting up my monitors is so much easier with Nouveau and desktop performance is decent, even casual gaming works on my 460 GTX.

Comment

With me is the opposite....

As for gaming....i'm not exactly a casual player....i play 4-8 hours per day

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
            With me is the opposite....
            Where you already very used to using the nvidia tool? I just find it so unintuiative and alien to the rest of the system. As for gaming i mainly do that in Windows, but maybe Steam can help change that ons it is relased for Linux

Comment

the NVIDIA blob is very easy and fast to setup in Linux....it has much less options than the Windows version.

The interesting things about it in Linux are also , besides the refresh rate (at least in my case) easy to setup, are much BETTER performance and QUALITY in videos not only compared with Nouveau in Linux but also to NVIDIA drivers in Windows !!!

Yes, NVIDIA in Linux works with MUCH better quality than NVIDIA in Windows as for movies goes.

As for games, more exactly in some games with native clients both for Linux and Windows , like ETQW, using same settings, the frame rate is clearly BETTER under Linux than Windows

Notice that i also customize and compile the kernel in Linux...and NEVER use KDE, GNOME 2/3 or Unity but ALWAYS XFCE or LXDE.

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
                Setting up my monitors is so much easier with Nouveau and desktop performance is decent, even casual gaming works on my 460 GTX.
                The newer Nvidia drivers (302 and foward) support RandR 1.3 so you can use the same tools for configuring the blob as you do Noveau.

Comment

Hopefully steam and 302 will land in distributions around the same time.

Comment

On an 8800GTS G80 I can confirm that Regnum Online works with both versions tested, but a recent regression in the 8.1 stack has caused it to lose Shader Model 2.0 support requiring you to fall back to fixed pipeline rendering.

Also Amnesia: The Dark Decent works well, but oddly Penumbra: Overture has corrupt graphics everywhere.

Comment

Working...
                    X