Arch Linux Install Media Updated For July 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by disi View Post
    Fedora is great on my netbook with no real data on it. Once you made notes about all the repositories you will need for multimedia, VirtualBox, Flash, Virtualization etc. the reinstall is easy...

Gentoo, anyone? With Sabayon they have a standard compilation and kind of a current snapshot of portage to test on, isn't there any Arch based distribution Michael could use?
    With the invention of RPMFusion, that's all you really need anymore, besides flash from the adobe repo, but I use Chrome so no need.

As for an Arch based Distro, he could use ArchBang, although I've never tried it because I'm not a fan of OpenBox.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post
      [...]

As for an Arch based Distro, he could use ArchBang, although I've never tried it because I'm not a fan of OpenBox.
      a arch based distro with KDE 4 desktop would be Chakra. I never tried it, because I don't like KDE much.

Kahel OS
      is also Arch based, and uses the gnome 3 desktop. The last time I tried it was in the beginning of 2010 with gnome 2. It was not a bad distro when I tried it. I think I had it on my computer several month or at least some weeks as primary system.

Comment

Originally posted by Fenrin View Post
        a arch based distro with KDE 4 desktop would be Chakra. I never tried it, because I don't like KDE much.
        Chakra is not based on Arch Linux. The first non-Arch based Chakra version was released almost two yeas ago and they are not compatible in anyway anymore. Chakra is working on their own package manager called Akabei and they are planning on moving to systemd (altough same could happen to Arch too). It is half-rolling release distribution so it's not as bleeding edge as Arch and so on and so forth.
        Last edited by Teho; 25 July 2012, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
          [...]
          ah ok thanks for the clarification.

Comment

Another choice could be Cinnarch;

This domain name is available, own it today. Affordable payment options. Fast and professional service.

it's a young Arch-based distro with Cinnamon pre-installed.

I don't know much about it, but i would imagine that they haven't changed too much, so it would likely be a good candidate

Comment

Originally posted by Fenrin View Post

Kahel OS
              is also Arch based, and uses the gnome 3 desktop. The last time I tried it was in the beginning of 2010 with gnome 2. It was not a bad distro when I tried it. I think I had it on my computer several month or at least some weeks as primary system.
              Oh cool, i didn't know about Kahel OS. I'll have to give it a shot sometime, as it might be better than using fedora.

Thanks for the info!

Comment

Working...
              X