Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electronic Arts Lacks Exciting Linux Strategy

Phoronix: Electronic Arts Lacks Exciting Linux Strategy

With all the excitement this week about Valve confirming their Linux plans on their blog and other worthwhile developments like collaborating with Intel on their open-source Mesa driver and Valve wanting to do things for open-source, EA and their Linux efforts have once again been brought up...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

EA lacks a lot of things...

Comment

boing

well, let's put it this way: EA doesn't have to care about linux now nor in the near future.

besides, who would like to have them publish anything on linux, just watch the trainwreck that is origin on windows. just watch their publication policy. they only care about money, not even the quality of their AAA-titles. they've butchered many products by forcing them out prematurely and raping their content with "whatever the majority likes, bland is best".

I'm wishing all the best for ubuntu software center with independent publishers and valve.

btw, it would be tremendously interesting to see any statistics of the sales volumes in the ubuntu software center. are they really making any significant sales through it?

Comment

Originally posted by dolo View Post
        well, let's put it this way: EA doesn't have to care about linux now nor in the near future.

besides, who would like to have them publish anything on linux, just watch the trainwreck that is origin on windows. just watch their publication policy. they only care about money, not even the quality of their AAA-titles. they've butchered many products by forcing them out prematurely and raping their content with "whatever the majority likes, bland is best".

I'm wishing all the best for ubuntu software center with independent publishers and valve.

btw, it would be tremendously interesting to see any statistics of the sales volumes in the ubuntu software center. are they really making any significant sales through it?
        Nope, because the EA titles in USC are free... They are like 5/6 most downloaded apps, but have low rationg because its just shortcut to webrowser

Comment

If EA doesn't want my money, then Vavle can have it .
          It's that simple.

Comment

As I said earlier, I'm pretty sure EA will come up with something.

Not because EA is innovative, not because they are courageous to conquer new grounds
            and certainly not because they love Linux - we know it's not the case.
            But simply because they are surely heavily irritated by this move of a serious competitor.
            It might be just the plain fear being late at a potential new emerging market (without having a clear vision).

Comment

It doesn't matter, now that we have Valve on our side. I hope Valve takes the whole market for themselves and make EA realize just how foolish they were from ignoring a very lucrative new market. Although, I always wanted to play Need For Speed Hot Pursuit on Linux, but that's a small sacrifice to pay.

Edit: It might also mean that they (EA) can't find enough/any developers to work on porting Linux games, seeing as how many difficulties Valve themselves are facing hiring more developers. So maybe their reasoning might not have anything to do with the platform per s?, but a lack of qualified developers to work on this admittedly different O.S.
              Last edited by 1c3d0g; 21 July 2012, 12:47 PM. Reason: Included new thoughts and reasoning behind EA's hesitation to support Linux

Comment

Actually i hope that EA NEVER enter in the Linux gaming market for the reasons exposed in this thread before my post.

EA NOT entering in the Linux gaming market would be one the BEST things, if not THE BEST, that can happen to Linux.

Comment

Michael

Why bother writing an article about this subject?!! EA have no clue where they are going and also (I notice) appear to be run by some 10 year-old boy... Contrast with a veteran like Gabe!! If M. Shuttleworth had any balls he would have told them where to shove their stupid web-links (i.e. where the sun don't shine)...

I was actually more interested to here you were popping into the Linux Action Show tbh!! I tune in every week with interest...

Bob

Comment

And Ouya steals the spotlight...

If EA ever releases something, it won't be until at least some other such as valve delivers.
                    I can now confirm a non windows gaming platform is in demand, unfortunately it is Android taking the goods.

Seen Ouya? They requested 950,000$ to start a project on kickstarter to make an arm/tegra gaming console. They are above 5 million now... Still 18 days to go. How can the likes of EA miss this? Obviously, conservative morons more worried about hurting share value than trying the "unknown" become stagnant.

A simple arm/tegra gaming console is one of those obvious things that none of the multi-billion companies could think of.
                    If people can actually vote with wallets, i bet this is it.

Unfortunately with Ouya out, the incentive for a linux console becomes nil. Will Valve keep going, or will they simply embrace Ouya?

Comment

Working...
                    X