Electronic Arts Lacks Exciting Linux Strategy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Artemis3 View Post
    Unfortunately with Ouya out, the incentive for a linux console becomes nil. Will Valve keep going, or will they simply embrace Ouya?
    Ouya is extremely weak device so the games are nothing compared to something that you would play on your PC. Also Ouya is far from being a successful platform as it would have to be sold to hundreds of thousands of users to gain real developer intrests. It's not easy to translate the kickstarter success to something that would sell to the massess.

Comment

Electronic Arts Pretty Much Lacks Exciting Anything Strategy

Reuse of the same old properties, yearly sequels, one original game per year (good years)
      EA's most exciting strategies are from former EA employees; which EA can't seem to learn from.
      I would really like to see something somewhere, anything anywhere, to suggest to me that EA isn't going to be a dark stain for Linux. I'd settle for them doing anything original and cool for Windows, just to show there's some sort of non-evil (doesn't have to be good even) influence having some positive effect on this ginormous soulless entity.

Comment

Originally posted by dolo View Post
        they only care about money, not even the quality of their AAA-titles. they've butchered many products by forcing them out prematurely and raping their content with "whatever the majority likes, bland is best".
        Duh...you think? Thats the entire point: Maximizing profit. No different then any other coorporation out there. I fault EA for many things, but thats not one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by gamerk2 View Post
          Duh...you think? Thats the entire point: Maximizing profit. No different then any other coorporation out there. I fault EA for many things, but thats not one of them.
          Believe it or not, businesses can actually make money by taking care of the customer. EA's crappy attitude toward the customer is short-sighted and I don't think it's sustainable.

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeyPaw View Post
            Believe it or not, businesses can actually make money by taking care of the customer. EA's crappy attitude toward the customer is short-sighted and I don't think it's sustainable.
            EA is sustainable like the Mongolian Empire, just keep conquering other successful people. Eventually the strains of organizing such a large monstrosity will lead to divisions between leading individuals who will start their own companies and hire away EA's people from the conquered companies. Its starting to happen on a small scale already; one, two, or three people at a time leaving with one or two original ideas as good as World of Goo. But pretty soon they'll start losing things as big as their Tolkien licenses and hundreds of people who want to follow it.

Comment

Originally posted by zerothis View Post
              EA is sustainable like the Mongolian Empire, just keep conquering other successful people. Eventually the strains of organizing such a large monstrosity will lead to divisions between leading individuals who will start their own companies and hire away EA's people from the conquered companies. Its starting to happen on a small scale already; one, two, or three people at a time leaving with one or two original ideas as good as World of Goo. But pretty soon they'll start losing things as big as their Tolkien licenses and hundreds of people who want to follow it.
              Defections happen ALL THE TIME in the gaming industry. Its very rare for any staff to hold together for any length of time. Why do you think companies like EA eat every successful studio they can get their hands on? IP sells, and EA understands this. And for every IP that goes stale, EA can simply create/aquire a new one to replace it. EA, and maybe Activision, are the only AAA studios with the cash to make that strategy work long term.

EA doesn't innovate, but as long as their titles sell, they don't have to.

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeyPaw View Post
                If they don't care about their customer then that customer will look to the competition for their Linux gaming needs (like Valve and maybe Blizzard)

Well EA's going to lose out once Valve gets it all together and releases at least one of their AAA franchises as a native Linux game, and if sometime thereafter Blizzard follows suit with their titles.

Interesting times eh?

Comment

Working...
                X