Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org Foundation Confirms 501(c)(3) Status

Phoronix: X.Org Foundation Confirms 501(c)(3) Status

The X.Org Foundation has finally officially announced to their members and the public via their web-site that they're now a 501(c)(3) organization...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Late

This is late, this should have been done a decade ago.

Also now with Wayland, is X.org Server getting less relevant?
    If the X Window System get less relevant, will X.org Foundation get less relevant too?
    Or will Wayland be part of the X.org Foundation?

Or will X.org Foundation continue after the eventual Wayland transition with X12?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      In 2002, X.Org was an industry consortium under the auspices of The Open Group, and XFree86 was producing the software all Linux & BSD distros used, and no one saw that changing. (I believe the XFree86 Project, Inc. was a private corporation, not a public charity as we've made X.Org.)

The X.Org Foundation has been funding events and student projects across not just the traditional X11 code base, but also DRI, Mesa, and Wayland. Given the years of work required to become a 501(c)(3) I hope everyone working on Wayland is happy to continue letting us deal with the bureaucracy and paperwork of running a foundation to support them so they can spend their time working on the code.

Comment

Also now with Wayland, is X.org Server getting less relevant?
        If the X Window System get less relevant, will X.org Foundation get less relevant too?

Or will X.org Foundation continue after the eventual Wayland transition with X12?
        Good move @ Xorg

Wayland, I mostly see it promoted by some forum users and still wonder what is better and why?
        I guess it will never really replace Xorg, I once had a closer look at DirectFB.

Comment

does xorg accept donations? looking at the website there seems to be no way to send a donation, closest is an email to contact if you want to provide sponsorship. I am sure if they had a simple way to donate, and the money sponsored xorg and other linux graphics projects, then they could get quite a lot of money.

Comment

Working...
          X