Valve & Intel Work On Open-Source GPU Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by asdx
    It's pretty depressing that we have Valve porting Steam and that our open source drivers are crap (in 3d performance)

Valve will probably realize this and cancel/abandon the project after they realize no hardware vendors give a fuck about our drivers and Linux.

It's incredibly depressing and sad.
    Drivers exist. They are just closed source. If valve cant force nVidia and AMD to help (nvidia mostly amd is helpful but needs more devs) i am pretty sure they will support the blobs.

Comment

It's pretty depressing that we have Valve porting Steam and that our open source drivers are crap (in 3d performance)

Valve will probably realize this and cancel/abandon the project after they realize no hardware vendors give a fuck about our drivers and Linux.

It's incredibly depressing and sad.
      I think the open drivers are the best thing GNU/Linux has over other consumer platforms. The drivers are a core part of the OS, differently from any other OS which requirers each hardware manufacturer to write the whole driver from scrach. What this means is that hardware manufacturers who decide to support the platform in the future will only have to write their hardware specific bits. Look at the mess closed drivers have made on android. Device manufacturers must wait SoC manufacturers write new drivers to support new versions of the OS. Imagine if google required that anyone entering the android bandwagon implemented an open source driver... what a wasted oportunity. Google could have bought the important patents (or tried to) and licensed among the android manufacturers. It sure as hell would have made the updates a hole lot faster.

If/when mesa/gallium are developed enough, it shouldn't be such a hassle to suport new hardware, and software updates will simply be there. It's just a shame that only Intel takes this seriously.

I'm eager to have a Valley View phone, should be the best hardware to receive updates. Hell, should even be able to install different OSes in it. Supporting Firefox OS, Ubuntu phone, WebOS, besides android should be fairly simple (all linux based). The other closed source driver makers, should learn or fade into obscurity. It would be kickass if intel implement coreboot on their VV phones and tablets too.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
        I guess the answer will be to automatically turn off compositing when launching a game. I think Windows turns off Aero automatically?
        Mutter in Gnome Shell already does that, and if you use composting in Xfce that is controlled by a convenient toggle.

Comment

On the other hand there is problem with AMD team, as they are focused on bringing 7xxx up to speed, so they would not have features to work on Since state of radeonsi is poor right now.
          I have no doubts that the raspberry pi will soon have better open source drivers and performance than SI. Buying an SI card was the stupedist purchase I have done in the last 10 years. I see no point in sticking with AMD any more. When I retire this mother board I am going Intel.

Comment

You guys do know that patents are only valid at the territory they are grant right? I dont know where has this specific patent been grant, but i really doubt it was grant here in Brazil or Europe for that matter, since our law is not favourable to software patents.

Comment

Hmm, this got me thinking, why are Intel drivers on Windows closed-source? Are they using some patented things there, and not on Linux? Or is there no interest in open-source drivers there?

Comment

The problem is that distros won't include S3TC by default for fear of being sued, Mesa also won't include it by deafult, and most distros won't ship with S3TC by default.

It seems like some people think USA is the whole world and that the rest of the world doesn't exist. It pisses me off.

Why not just ignore USA patent laws and include everything by default?

USA is a fucking retarded nation. The whole world has to suffer because of their stupid and retarded patent law bullshit. When this will end?
                That is where i was going for. Maybe the distros can release a US version withouth patented content....

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                  Hmm, this got me thinking, why are Intel drivers on Windows closed-source? Are they using some patented things there, and not on Linux? Or is there no interest in open-source drivers there?
                  No one is demanding it and yes they probably have patented code/lib that they cannot release in code form (not nervelessly the same as it being illegal in a closed driver).

Comment

I agree that too many Americans think that there is not a rest of the world, but you guys to a being narrow minded. Software patents are the law in several other countries as well, and Europe is not nearly as free of the problem as many people here think.

Comment

I'm really eager to find out Valve's motivation with this project here because it seems so risky from a profit perspective. (11 engineers is a lot of money.) There has to be some kind of console in the plans or something.

Comment

Working...
                      X