Valve & Intel Work On Open-Source GPU Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by asdx
    When are we going to have news from AMD/Nvidia on this subject?
    Is valve so big that might "force" Nvidia to help???

Comment

Agreed. Let's only hope that the open source drivers (intel, nouveau, radeon) will get better and more robust and that Valve will help the developers with whatever is necessary to get there.

Any ideas about Mesa and the S3TC problem? Will that get some attention too?

I can't wait to see what Nvidia response will be after Valve approaches them.
      New .GIF with Gabe doing "Fuck you NVidia!" ?

Comment

Unfortunately we don't even have a public outlet for nvidia anymore. :soapbox: (that's another thread)

Unless Michael has an established channel with some of the devs and can pick their brains?

Obviously any business that wants to survive has to be one step ahead of market changes and public sentiment. What's clear here is that Valve isn't just throwing a Linux port to appease the ankle-biters and keep them sedated for awhile; instead they seem pretty committed to something bigger.

Comment

Originally posted by orome View Post
          Learning new stuff every day...
          Would the result be something other than obfuscated unusable/unmantainable mess?
          Depends on the NDA, I guess

But Nvidia already sent docs under NDA to a FOSS dev that implemented a ddx for X. The problem is that it was a long time ago It was for the first nvidia GPU! One of the few currently unsupported by Nouveau at all.

Comment

Valve helping Intel get their driver up to snuff makes perfect sense and is a great win for the Intel team. But I don't see how supporting AMD and Nouveau open drivers would be worth the duplicative effort unless they are building a open "Steambox". Then it would make sense only to target specific pieces of hardware (AMD or Intel hardware w/ doc's) to develop, mass produce, and market. Even if Valve got Nvidia to release documentation with a NDA for Nouveau, the devs would still say fuck you Nvidia...

Anyways I can't wait to truly unleash my 670GTX for more than Wine games (WoW 2.4.3 and Diablo 3) and a hand full of native games (Trine 2/Oilrush on max settings look and play wonderfully)

Comment

As has already been mentioned by Mupuf and I think I've also said it elsewhere, I got Nouveau in contact with Valve a long time ago as well. However, there's nothing active at the moment as far as I am aware.

For AMD, none of the open-source AMD developers have contacted me for referral at Valve for driver help. I did get Corbin Simpson into the interview process at Valve for a job but no idea how far that went or if anything is going on. I also talked to Marek but he's not interested in a job from Valve for at least another year due to university.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

It always anoyed me about the S3TC issue why the license can't just be about the GPU that the driveres are for and there for the license is automatically payed for any one that is going to be able to run that bit of code.

Comment

It is because it is a patent on a specific algorithm. It is a software patent. Software patents suck.

Comment

Valve is targeting their Steam support for Ubuntu, but Ubuntu Unity base is Compiz. Compiz should die, because it's the only reason why gaming performance in Ubuntu sucks.

I've tried everything and I can't get a smooth gaming experience with Ubuntu while running Unity3d, everything is laggy and stuttery including games and desktop experience itself. As soon as I switch to Ubuntu2d I get my performance back, but not everything is perfect because Vsync doesn't completely eliminate tearing.

I only get complete smoothness when running Ubuntu without any kind of composite layer (gnome classic).

I'm running a Sandybridge 2600k + P67 mobo + 2 x nvidia Gtx680 + 8 Gb on a 240Gb SSD, and Ubuntu 12.04 gaming experience sucks compared to Windows.

Also, SLI in linux is unusable because it only hurts performance instead of improving it, so I have it disabled.

If Valve and their partners come up with a solution for all this issues, we can get a gaming platform equal to Windows. Until then, I don't see it taking off.

Comment

Originally posted by Kristian Joensen View Post
                      It is because it is a patent on a specific algorithm. It is a software patent. Software patents suck.
                      It is my understanding that it wouldn't necessarily be a patent violation, but simply that they haven't had the resources to determine whether or not it would be a patent violation. Since it's never been challenged, this is open source developers playing safe.

Comment

Working...
                      X