Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Valve & Intel Work On Open-Source GPU Drivers

Hybrid View

Default Valve & Intel Work On Open-Source GPU Drivers

Phoronix: Valve & Intel Work On Open-Source GPU Drivers

As the latest Valve Linux news for today, Valve Software actually cares about open-source Linux graphics drivers. Last week they had the Intel OTC Linux graphics team out to Bellevue to jointly work on the OpenGL renderer for the Source Engine and the Intel Mesa driver...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTE0MzQ

This is excellent! But what about the gallium3d(radeon, nouveau) camp?

Quote Originally Posted by log0 View Post
    This is excellent! But what about the gallium3d(radeon, nouveau) camp?
    I think the work done on the intel driver usually migrates to all the drivers (g3d) eventually.

I hope that we will have news on the AMD front also. But i am not holding my breath on it.

Dear Valve,
    do the same with AMD and i will be more than happy to give you my money...

Quote Originally Posted by VeganProvolone View Post
    Dear Valve,
    do the same with AMD and i will be more than happy to give you my money...
    I guess Valve Linux Team will be happy to see developers from AMD in their office, if they decide to come.
    Same for nouveau developers.

Unless we are talking r300g, I think that the othere open driveres have way to much they already need to fix, implement and optimize that it would make much sence to start looking at optimizing for specefic games.

This sounds great, ofc.

On the other hand, the title is a bit misleading here IMHO.
    If they want to go get the intel GPUs into play - and Valve surely does - then they
    have to deal with an open-source driver. There is no other driver.

So let's hope we hear some news soon from Valve what ideas they have
    concerning the F/OSS radeon and nouveau drivers. TBH, I'm a bit sceptical here.
    There are far superior blob drivers by means of performance and
    significantly optimising the open drivers doesn't seem to be low-hanging grapes.
    To me it would be an unbelievable (and appreciated) move if they put huge efforts
    into the open drivers, when there's already something working where they can easily
    communicate (I guess so) with developers from NVidia and AMD. Just from a companies POV, ofc...
    Then again, we still don't know to full extent what Valve is really up to.

Quote Originally Posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
    I guess Valve Linux Team will be happy to see developers from AMD in their office, if they decide to come.
    Same for nouveau developers.
    Well, who knows for Nouveau. At the moment, the real problem is power management and we are working on it. The maintainer will help me on this whenever he is done with the infrastructure work.

Anyway, what truly is needed is early access to the games in the future for all gallium devs.

Kudos to Valve.

Well, it makes sense for them to support open source drivers.

Older hardware support. This is important when driver updates are only for those who have the latest graphic cards. This makes it harder to squash bugs, since it could be the drivers fault, and if the drivers aren't unified in version then it's a painful process to fix issues.

A lot of these problems mirror issues that we've seen with other game engines (e.g., Unigine).
    I'm sure they kinda loled and ignore them, 'cause they're just some russian dudes, right? But when the big boys at Valve cometh... things... are... different