KDE 4.9 Is Faster & More Responsive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alcalde View Post
    If by "bloated" you mean "has features", then yes, it is. :-) LXDE can't even list your most recently used files and programs.

Why would I want it to do something useless like that? Just because YOU need a feature, does not mean it should be included in a DE. This is the purpose of LXDE, to keep it light without all the b.s. of other desktops. I respect that. If it's not for you, simply move on to a more "feature-full" DE.

Comment

@siride

The Kanotix default install has got no virtuoso-minimal installed btw. That means no background processes that index the data by default. It is no problem to use a netbook with KDE 4 with it that way - 1 gb ram is definitely enough. Only when you have got a cpu with many cores and you want to use gcc with more theads this can be a problem. Like when you run make -j8 on a system with 2 gb ram and you want to surf in the net the same time then your ram will be full. So best is to have at least 1/2 * cores (including ht) gb ram when you want to compile without swap.

Comment

Originally posted by 1c3d0g View Post
        This is the purpose of LXDE, to keep it light without all the b.s. of other desktops.
        I think someone aptly called it poverty desktop....

Comment

You can call it whatever you want, but for a lot of people, these light-weight desktops don't get in their way and actually allows them to get serious work done. Different strokes for different folks.

Comment

You can call it whatever you want, but for a lot of people, these light-weight desktops don't get in their way and actually allows them to get serious work done. Different strokes for different folks.
            Now you are talking! Respect what other users want from their desktop. It may not match with your needs, but its their needs. And features need code to be written, thus leading to the bloat you speak of.

Comment

KDE

I'm very happy with the newer versions. The first 4.0 iteration was a disaster, the next 3 saw gradual improvement, but 4.4 wouldn't even run right on my computers, but starting at 4.5 I've seen a great DE evolving. RAM is cheap. 4Gigs is less than $40 and is more than enough even for win7, all my linux distros could do fine on half that. I rarely have over 1Gig in use so I don't understand what the bloat problem is. I don't see it. I like having options like monitoring RAM and CPU usage in the taskbar. All in all I think KDE is doing great. I can't wait to try out 4.9 when it hits the tumbleweed repositories. Keep up the good work!!!

Comment

You can call it whatever you want, but for a lot of people, these light-weight desktops don't get in their way and actually allows them to get serious work done.
                I never understood that claim. Which work do you get done with a desktop?

Comment

Meaning, if I'm busy coding a webpage, some stupid system pop-up will not aggressively show itself and interrupt my work. Or, when I'm busy copying something to a USB disk, some stupid little "feature" will not magically decide to start-up (to "enhance" file indexing, for instance) and slow down my whole file transfer. Plus: with less features, the software will be more robust, because less things have to be taken into account (by the developers) like how the different parts might interact and conflict with each other. The attack vector of the software in question will also be scaled down, making the software less vulnerable to attacks.

Look, not all of us like there to be a billion features in a desktop. Why do I need to be forced-fed something I just don't want? KISS...most developers seem to have forgotten that.

Comment

Faster and More Responsive? Ah!

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                    I'm not seeing any difference, other then more frequent crashes. Kopete seems to lead the pack. I know Telepathy is supposed to be the new kid on the block, but that doesn't even show me my yahoo contacts; which is a step up because it used to be unable to log in.
                    It's not all bad, it's just a crash or two in a whole day of using KDE. Hopefully the final version will fix these.
                    I don't dare to install beta stuff on my PC as it's daily production.
                    But from the numbers shown in the main article, I would not say KDE v4.9 is better than v4.8.
                    At the best it is a little "better", no more than 1% of performance gain. I use to call this "background noise" and a human user (vs the robotic tester) would hardly perceive it!
                    You can get much better results with low-latency kernels, with a smart choice of CPU and I/O schedulers in the kernel.
                    Ah!

Comment

Originally posted by Uqbar View Post
                      But from the numbers shown in the main article, I would not say KDE v4.9 is better than v4.8.
                      At the best it is a little "better", no more than 1% of performance gain. I use to call this "background noise" and a human user (vs the robotic tester) would hardly perceive it!
                      You can get much better results with low-latency kernels, with a smart choice of CPU and I/O schedulers in the kernel.
                      Ah!
                      Uh, that is not KDE workspace performance, that is performance of games running under KDE. It is totally irrelevant to whether the KDE workspace itself, or even ordinary applications running under the KDE workspace, have improved performance.

Comment

Working...
                      X