No announcement yet.

Ubuntu's Unity Desktop Comes To Fedora 17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found unity quite an interesting interface for newbies at first glance.

However, given amount of resources it takes, bugs and its inability to function correctly on open drivers, I replaced it with XFCE, which takes only 1/3 of resources.

Newbies using good machines (2GiB+, accelerated OGL) are better off with KDE.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
      I found unity quite an interesting interface for newbies at first glance.

However, given amount of resources it takes, bugs and its inability to function correctly on open drivers
      What? It works fine for me with open drivers... intel and amd. Also resource wise it doesn't seem to use anymore than gnome + compiz or gnome-shell for me. I also haven't really noticed any bugs with it in 12.04 (I did have problems in 11.04 and 11.10, but it seems solid now)
      Last edited by bwat47; 23 July 2012, 01:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by chenxiaolong View Post
        Hopefully, Fedora will fix their glibc package or update rpm so that it follows symlinks (ie. glibc provides both /sbin/ldconfig and /usr/sbin/ldconfig). For now, I will update the packages to use '/usr/sbin'.
        I did a yum -y install unity and yum -y update, I got the same error

Comment

Originally posted by Kasumi_Ninja View Post
          I did a yum -y install unity and yum -y update, I got the same error
          Sorry, I'm on vacation and haven't had a chance to update the packages yet.

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
            What? It works fine for me with open drivers... intel and amd. Also resource wise it doesn't seem to use anymore than gnome + compiz or gnome-shell for me. I also haven't really noticed any bugs with it in 12.04 (I did have problems in 11.04 and 11.10, but it seems solid now)
            I had an old machine - nvidia 6100, sempron 1.6 and 512 Mb RAM. Ubuntu 12.04 32 in default installation occupied 460Mb RAM with no applications loaded (except email client it autoloads). Nvidia proprietary drivers were broken, however noveau (tons of thanks to them, will supply them with cards when I get another one) actually worked except when clicking on the dash - where it froze the screen with corruption, additionally compiz was occupying 100% of CPU. I saw the bug on launchpad already, its documented, nothing more to be done.

In the end I put lubuntu there, but after finding out LXDE is incapable to save sessions and has overall very very quirky conter-intuitive behaviour, I pulled xfce desktop (xubuntu) but still left lubuntu blue theming and icons. The only problem I have with XFCE is inability to call properties/set permissions on multiple of objects at once - a Thunar limitation. But its not fatal.

Btw, Lubuntu occupied 120 and Xfce 160 MiBs accordingly. This was a machine of a senior guy, who doesn't know much about computers - primary office, banking, internet, mail. I think he is backed up pretty good by community, documentation and software store.

I had no intel machine to test now, but the relatives use LM12 and are pretty ok with it (LM, Cinnamon, Gnome Shell). I don't think they need Unity. But thanks a lot for your report, its good to hear my case is not the only possible.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
              I had an old machine - nvidia 6100, sempron 1.6 and 512 Mb RAM. Ubuntu 12.04 32 in default installation occupied 460Mb RAM with no applications loaded (except email client it autoloads). Nvidia proprietary drivers were broken, however noveau (tons of thanks to them, will supply them with cards when I get another one) actually worked except when clicking on the dash - where it froze the screen with corruption, additionally compiz was occupying 100% of CPU. I saw the bug on launchpad already, its documented, nothing more to be done.
              did you add yourself to the bug report and provide any relevant info/logs ?? - if not, than you didn't to all you could have done.

512 of ram is probably what killed you here. (aside from nvidia breakage). You certainly wouldn't be running Win7, MacOSX 10.6/7/8 on that kind of hardware, either.. bigger DE/WMs generally consume resources and thus have higher system requirements... I wouldn't have great expectations of Unity, KDE(+kwin), Gnome-shell, etc to work that well, at least not when running a few applications on such low-specs

I have used Unity / ubuntu 12.04 on a coreduo 1.6 + 1g of ram with radeon driver and it worked well enough, but i also didn't use it for any great length of time, either. Compiz/Unity were smooth though, dash was fast and looked good. expo / scale / etc in compiz seemed to work nicely. but i was really just having a quick look at 12.04, and wanted to install it to hardware rather than using VMware (which it is slow in).

it's also well-known that some of the compiz-devs use the OSS drivers, over the blobs; intel, AMD and nvidia, respectively. So i would tend to think the OSS drivers must be okay (for the most part), but obviously throw any real GL-apps at them and they will flop (in comparison to the blobs).

Comment

The packages are now fixed and the updates should work now. Please run:

Code:
                sudo touch /etc/yum.repos.d/GNOME\:Ayatana.repo
                before updating. This will force yum to update the repo (similar to "sudo apt-get update" before "sudo apt-get upgrade"). Otherwise, you can wait until tomorrow to update as yum will do this automatically every day.

Btw, we now have the new Compiz 0.9.8

Comment

Originally posted by chenxiaolong View Post
                  The packages are now fixed and the updates should work now. Please run:

Code:
                  sudo touch /etc/yum.repos.d/GNOME\:Ayatana.repo
                  before updating. This will force yum to update the repo (similar to "sudo apt-get update" before "sudo apt-get upgrade"). Otherwise, you can wait until tomorrow to update as yum will do this automatically every day.

Btw, we now have the new Compiz 0.9.8
                  Thanks for the update! I got the following result:

touch /etc/yum.repos.d/GNOME\:Ayatana.repo
                  yum -y update

Code:
                  Error: Package: 1:metacity-2.34.1-9.1.x86_64 (@GNOME_Ayatana)
                             Requires: /usr/sbin/ldconfig
                             Removing: glibc-2.15-37.fc17.x86_64 (@anaconda-0)
                                 Not found
                             Updated By: glibc-2.15-51.fc17.x86_64 (updates)
                                 Not found
                   You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
                   You could try running: rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest

Comment

Originally posted by Kasumi_Ninja View Post
                    Thanks for the update! I got the following result:

touch /etc/yum.repos.d/GNOME\:Ayatana.repo
                    yum -y update

Code:
                    Error: Package: 1:metacity-2.34.1-9.1.x86_64 (@GNOME_Ayatana)
                               Requires: /usr/sbin/ldconfig
                               Removing: glibc-2.15-37.fc17.x86_64 (@anaconda-0)
                                   Not found
                               Updated By: glibc-2.15-51.fc17.x86_64 (updates)
                                   Not found
                     You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
                     You could try running: rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest
                    Sorry for not replying sooner. I was on vacation. The repository was probably being rebuilt when you were updating. If you try again, it should work

EDIT: I'm in the process of rebuilding gtk2-ubuntu, which will cause part of the repo to be rebuilt. Running the updates at this time will probably fail. Please update sometime tomorrow

Comment

Working...
                    X