Serious Sam 3 Ported To Linux, Running On Ubuntu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kgroombr View Post
    Serious Sam 2 was said to run on Linux, but the results were abysmal. I vow to never purchase a game ported to Linux until it is proven to "Run on Linux".
    I think I remember reading about that back then.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Wasn't it Icculus doing the dedicated Linux server and being paid for that?
    As we know, he sometimes does the Linux client for free, e.g. see Prey and MOHAA.
    This is a much appreciated thing.
    The downside of course is, he doesn't always support those builts AFAIK.
    In these cases clients are provided as is, labeled with a large beta sticker.

Maybe he just wasn't paid for porting the SSx client(s).
    In that case there is no point to blame him for a lack of bug fixing.

This time Croteam might take a client port serious, aiming for a Steam release,
    and either PAY an external developer or do it in-house.
    Last edited by entropy; 18 July 2012, 08:58 PM.

Comment

This is fucking awesome! To those who don't know (or are to young to know), Serious Sam was to first FPS to really bring the "hundreds of bad guys running to you at the same time" formula to the masses. It was also one of the first with HUGE outdoors areas to play in.

This is just perfect. Together with Carmageddon coming next year, there's gonna be loads of carnage and mayhem on Linux!

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
        I think I remember reading about that back then.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
        Wasn't it Icculus doing the dedicated Linux server and being paid for that?
        As we know, he sometimes does the Linux client for free, e.g. see Prey and MOHAA.
        This is a much appreciated thing.
        The downside of course is, he doesn't always support those builts AFAIK.
        In these cases clients are provided as is, labeled with a large beta sticker.

Maybe he just wasn't paid for porting the SSx client(s).
        In that case there is no point to blame him for a lack of bug fixing.

Croteam might do the current Linux port in-house in a more serious attempt
        aiming for a Steam release.
        Icculus did the "First Encounter" and "Second Encounter". They were still some major bugs once which made it nearly non-playable which was the "Fall Through Floor" bug. I would still like to see these bugs fixed, but if "Serious Sam 3" is ported "Correctly" with the ability to play the HD port of the "First Encounter" and "Second Encounter", then I am not concerned.

I am not sure who ported Serious Sam 2 (not to be confused with "The Second Encounter"), but the frame rate was super slow, and there were major rendering issues. I purchased the game with the promise of a "Linux Client", but, IMHO, it never came.

Ken

Comment

This is excellent news Serious Sam is an awesome series. I just wonder if they'll ever release something to the public or if this is just some kind of experiment that we'll never hear of again.

Although I have to say.. Serious Sam 3 isn't exactly as good as Second Encounter or the first.. it's too "modern". Areas are too "closed", there's not much room to run around in compared to the other games, and there are other annoyances that kinda kill the game.. like really crappy enemies.

It's still a good game though. I hope they also port Second Encounter HD, since it uses the same engine.

Comment

Originally posted by kgroombr View Post
            Icculus did the "First Encounter" and "Second Encounter". They were still some major bugs once which made it nearly non-playable which was the "Fall Through Floor" bug. I would still like to see these bugs fixed, but if "Serious Sam 3" is ported "Correctly" with the ability to play the HD port of the "First Encounter" and "Second Encounter", then I am not concerned.

I am not sure who ported Serious Sam 2 (not to be confused with "The Second Encounter"), but the frame rate was super slow, and there were major rendering issues. I purchased the game with the promise of a "Linux Client", but, IMHO, it never came.

Ken
            According to this page, the client of SS2 has been ported by Croteam

Releasing a bugged "beta RC" and abandon the port does not look promising.

Comment

I've played SS2 quite a few times on Linux. It works great from what I remember.

Comment

Originally posted by 9a3eedi View Post
                Although I have to say.. Serious Sam 3 isn't exactly as good as Second Encounter or the first.. it's too "modern". Areas are too "closed", there's not much room to run around in compared to the other games, and there are other annoyances that kinda kill the game.. like really crappy enemies.
                Have you played latter levels? Huge, open and with THOUSANDS enemies?
                For me BFE is the best in series, ex equo with TSE, better than TFE and much better than SS2.

Comment

Let me add Serious Sam to the list of games to buy immediately after they comes to Linux...

Comment

Things are definitely looking up for gamers on Linux.

Comment

OMG!! This will be in my collection when valve releases steam on Linux. I've watched the gameplay.. AWESOME!!

Comment

Working...
                      X