Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So who are these douches that took down the nvnews site?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xvalentinex View Post
    Wayland requires KMS.
    No it doesn't. Nice irony.

Originally posted by johnc View Post
    Hasn't the nvidia driver had KMS for the past million years?
    When people say "KMS" they mean what the open-source drivers are using. Nvidia doesn't use that. But they do have their own implementation of kernel modesetting, and have had it since forever.

Comment

This is the problem with your entire argument and proof you don't really understand the issues at hand.

Wayland requires KMS. If nvidia's support for KMS is anything like their support of xrandr12, good luck getting it in the next decade.
      erm, excuse me but i have been using linux for over a decade using (mostly) Nvidia hardware (with the odd ATI/AMD one). if you think that i don't understand what the requirements and issues are with Wayland + nvidia, you would be DEAD wrong :\ If you think i haven't seen how things have played out over the last decade with linux - you would also be wrong. all that you have 'proven' is that you make grand assumptions, based on little information / your own assumptions.... My comments/opinions still stand (based on what i do know and my own experiences).

xrandr12 support did take a long time, but to then assume based on that alone that nvidia won't support Wayland for more than a decade - is nothing more than your opinion and also very likely FUD.

Wayland can never be the default in major distributions until nvidia cards are supported, and it will be Nouveau that supports it first. It would be really nice if nvidia would coroporate with Nouveau so that linux can have excellent open source drivers for nvidia cards, but unfortunately that's not the case. If I were you, I'd stop patting Nvidia on the back, and get on the Nouveau train. At some point Wayland will probably be the default and you'll be stuck with X, or Nouveau drivers that aren't as good as they could have been.
      if i were you, i would mind your own fucking business. ie: i can run whatever i want on my hardware, and do NOT need your input or approval thank you very much...! Nouveau isn't suitable for my purposes, if it was - i would use it. So there is no question as to whether or not i should jump on the Nouveau train - because if i did that right now - i might as well uninstall Linux and not use linux at all. :\ - the same is true of any OSS GFX driver (for me) at this point.

again with this FUD. For one, you have no idea as to when Nvidia plans on supporting Wayland, you also have no idea of when Wayland will even be production ready, nor do you know whether or not i will be 'stuck with X' or even if that bothers me (which AFAIK it wouldn't, at this point). I am very unlikely to be an early Wayland adopter, regardless of whether i am using Nvidia or not. I will wait until it matures, just like i won't update my Mac to Mountain Lion 10.8, until there have been several point releases.

how about instead of preaching to me, trying to spread FUD and seemingly trying to use that FUD as a form of coercion, instead concern yourself with your own problems, k?

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
        Hasn't the nvidia driver had KMS for the past million years?
        I meant the linux kernel implementation of KMS
        Originally posted by Gusar
        No it doesn't. Nice irony.
        Fair enough, but one could argue that to get any real benefit from Wayland you would need run their Weston compositor under KMS.
        Originally posted by ninez
        erm, excuse me but i have been using linux for over a decade using (mostly) Nvidia hardware
        ditto
        xrandr12 support did take a long time, but to then assume based on that alone that nvidia won't support Wayland for more than a decade
        This is true, and I shouldn't have stated it as a fact. I have nothing to show that nvidia will support Wayland in any timely manner... better?
        Nouveau isn't suitable for my purposes, if it was - i would use it.
        I didn't mean to imply that you should be running Nouveau, that is entirely your decision. I currently run the nvidia blob myself, because Nouveau doesn't resume from suspend on my laptop. I meant more that we all should be supporting/encouraging the herculean efforts of the Nouveau team.

Comment

nvnews linux forum is up.

Comment

This is true, and I shouldn't have stated it as a fact. I have nothing to show that nvidia will support Wayland in any timely manner... better?
            1st. You did more than that, you not only claimed it as factual, but then were spreading FUD and using that FUD as a form of coercion. ~ how very dishonest of you. :\ 2nd. You're right, we don't know when nvidia will support Wayland, but from what i have heard some developers say - it probably will be fairly trivial for them to do, when they do decide to support it. So how you then draw the conclusions that you do is beyond me?!

I didn't mean to imply that you should be running Nouveau, that is entirely your decision. I currently run the nvidia blob myself, because Nouveau doesn't resume from suspend on my laptop. I meant more that we all should be supporting/encouraging the herculean efforts of the Nouveau team.
            Well, i have supported Nouveau by running RENouveau when i owned a card that wasn't yet supported. But i am not a GFX-driver programmer, and since Nouveau is missing too many features and has really bad performance compared to the blob - i don't/won't use it. ..and if you just meant we should all be supporting Nouveau - why try to spread FUD? - did you actually think that would help the cause? ...telling me i will be stuck with X or the shotty Nouveau driver - did you think that was going to get any response but some hostility???

I also don't see what support/encouragement i am supposed to be giving to a project that i don't use (well, every couple/few months i test out nouveau, that's about it). I have nothing to offer that project and the only thing i could do to encourage them is outright lie to them about Nouveau.

I think given the circumstances the Nouveau developers have done a decent job, but the sad truth is Nouveau doesn't touch Radeon or Intel (let alone the driver it seeks to replace, which kills radeon/intel in performance) and progress is slow... I would rather be honest in my position - which is that i prefer Nvidia's driver, even with the problems that sometimes crop up with the blob (slow to adopt certain things, the odd security flaw, etc) - at the end of the day, as far as GFX on linux - Nvidia offers decent drivers (the best, imo), that are performant and i am never stuck waiting for them to support the latest version of Xorg, which is good being as i generally stick with bleeding-dege software.

I'm not a FOSS-evangelist and i use the best tools for the job - I am not required to hold Nouveau developers hands (whom i highly doubt need me too, either). There may come a day when Nouveau is good enough for me, but until then i am happy using the drivers Nvidia provides - which have made my Linux Desktop very nice to use and work with.

Comment

Originally posted by narciso View Post
              nvnews linux forum is up.
              meh, think I'll wait for the *official* nVidia Linux support forum... :-\

Comment

Originally posted by Licaon View Post
                Yep. I don't think the Nvidia devs intend to post at nvnews anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Licaon View Post
                  +1

I'm not going to bother going back to nvnews either.

Comment

Sorry for the delay, but the new forums are now up!

Comment

Thanks for the update! At last, communication without the trolling.

Comment

Working...
                      X