Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So who are these douches that took down the nvnews site?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a shame...nvnews is where people were able to get help and make suggestions about all things nVidia as well as providing bug reports for their drivers (not just linux but Windows too) as the nVidia devs peruse the site and assist users with issues or even filing bugs internally.

This MikeC may or not be real but just a shrill troll looking for thrills. It is a sad day for the nvnews community and hopefully nvidia will distance itself from such toolbags like MikeC.

While I am not a member there I do browse the forums to read info about driver releases, checking on status of bugs, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
      Well, that's something.

What I would really like to see is a dedicated forum for Linux frequented by the Linux devs @ Nvidia , like nvnews.net Linux sub forum was. (Beta) driver announcements, questions/bug reports with the occasional feedback, work-arounds, browse around threads, etc.. I have had my share of problems with the nvidia driver, and the #1 place to go look for solutions was nvnews.net. The knowledge base at nvidia.com is not dedicated to Linux, and the first result when searching [1] for "linux" is a reference to nvnews.net . But at least it looks like a better alternative for bug reporting than sending email.

[1] http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/list

Comment

Originally posted by oyvind View Post
        Well, that's something.

What I would really like to see is a dedicated forum for Linux frequented by the Linux devs @ Nvidia , like nvnews.net Linux sub forum was. (Beta) driver announcements, questions/bug reports with the occasional feedback, work-arounds, browse around threads, etc.. I have had my share of problems with the nvidia driver, and the #1 place to go look for solutions was nvnews.net. The knowledge base at nvidia.com is not dedicated to Linux, and the first result when searching [1] for "linux" is a reference to nvnews.net . But at least it looks like a better alternative for bug reporting than sending email.

[1] http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/list
        Sounds like a good idea for nvidia to set up its own forum where their devs would be actively be taking bug reports and assisting users with issues with both their Windows and Linux drivers as well as taking suggestions and feedback from users.

A better user experience translates into more customers, so hopefully nvidia will listen and do this

Comment

Originally posted by legluondunet View Post
          I think what's happened on nvnews forum is a good thing for Linux community, I hope the forum will not come back. I explain: Nvidia used nvnews linux forum like an unofficial bug tracker where official nvidia dev could involve...or not. On Nvidia official web site, the url for linux support pointed to nvnews, wich was not an official nvidia forum. Nvidia should open his own official linux forum support for a long time and all this shit had never happened. If Nvidia would keep the control of his communication with linux users, they should open his own linux support forum and in a more professionnal way, a bug tracker. I hope this affair will force Nvidia to be more engage in an official linux support way.
          I concur. NVIDIA treating Linux like a second-class citizen will only provoke anger and disgust from the technically-inclined people, pissing off exactly the type of people NVIDIA needs to pursue its business into new areas. It would be nice for NVIDIA as a professional corporation to acknowledge and embrace the Linux community and allow an official Linux forum on its company servers.

Comment

Originally posted by asdx
            Fuck off.

Nvidia sucks, and your shitty nvnews site does suck too.

Fuck you.
            Wow. Surprise, surprise - asdx is back with yet another 'fuck you, nvidia' comment that is completely USELESS to the discussion at hand - and also completely useless in general. :\

How about this, asdx (?) ~ actually contribute to the conversation at hand or instead STFU!

Now, back on topic;

I tend to agree with other users sentiments - nvidia should have their own official forums and support channels. I recently ended up sending a bug report via email, but you really don't get any feedback from them via email, so it is really annoying :\

nvnews was alright and i did find it useful on a few occasions, but they really should really not be relying on a third-party. An official bug tracker is much better than a forum, to begin with.

cheerz

Comment

Originally posted by 1c3d0g View Post
              I concur. NVIDIA treating Linux like a second-class citizen will only provoke anger and disgust from the technically-inclined people, pissing off exactly the type of people NVIDIA needs to pursue its business into new areas. It would be nice for NVIDIA as a professional corporation to acknowledge and embrace the Linux community and allow an official Linux forum on its company servers.
              Not really, I'm back and staying with nVidia with my new desktop unless they manage to forget how to write drivers. I've lived in catalyst hell for the last 3y with ATI and now the GPU is unsupported...

IF ATI is an example of 1st class citizen, I'll happily go with the 2nd class guys, you know the ones whose driver supports back to GF2...

[EDIT]
              That asdx guy reminds me of the AMD uberfanboi that could barely write anything remotely comprehensible in english and his feeble attempts at being an AMD/ATI apologist in the various catalyst threads... but at least he'd randomly insert inappropriate multisyllabic words...
              [/EDIT]
              Last edited by cutterjohn; 21 July 2012, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1c3d0g View Post
                Of course, the official nvidia forum is down as well for the same reason... as some twerp thought nvidia was a company that had to be "brought to justice!!!"

Comment

asdx, am I correct in interpreting your posts to mean you condone the DDoS-ing? So you wouldn't mind if someone DDoS-ed *your* machine so you wouldn't be able to post juvenile useless crap on forums.

To the topic at hand: Yeah, official forums and a public bugtracker would be cool. But with that come certain expectations, and I don't think Nvidia is up for that kind of commitment. The Linux userbase is simply too small. I'm quite ok with unofficial support and the kind of interaction we had with the Nvidia devs over at nvnews. It was the next best thing short of official support. I really hope Nvidia will continue with that. But like I already said, it'd be better to go somewhere other than nvnews.
                  Last edited by Gusar; 21 July 2012, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Wow, you really are a child. Actually no, that's an insult to children.

Nvidia did more damage to the Linux community than anything.
                    LOL. I could write an actual answer, but I'll just leave it at that - LOL.

Comment

It's not my problem if you fail to see the damages they've done to Linux and the community.
                      I ironed an NVIDIA logo into my pillowcase I love them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X