Given up on fglrx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Given up on fglrx

I now use the RadeonHD driver which works well. At least it doesn't crash when switching between the console and X, something I do all the time. I'd advise anyone who doesn't need 3D acceleration or video playback to do the same. I need video playback but I can wait. Fglrx is one of the reasons I've been forced to use Windows for watching DVDs and the like. I have a laptop so changing the gpu is not a trivial task.

I cannot believe that such a simple task as switching to the console can crash the video driver.

I only hope AMD delivers with the RadeonHD driver and we get decent video playback with NO TEARING.

It gets better. Youtube videos now work in fullscreen with RadeonHD on AMD64 Debian!

Comment

You can always use

mplayer -vo x11 -zoom file

that uses software scaling. This basically always works but is slow and cpu consuming. xine/kaffeine should fallback to x11 automatically. I can not test radeonhd driver on my own, but added it to Kanotix - autodetected since Thorhammer RC7. It is not the problem to watch a movie but to do that hw accellerated.
      Last edited by Kano; 05 January 2008, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X