No announcement yet.

Valve Writes About Their Linux Client Plans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I seriously can't wait for Counter-Strike GO on Linux!

Valve kicks ass.

Comment

Awesome, so this is the thread where we make fun of those that kept denying the mounting evidence of Steam on linux?

Originally posted by Larian View Post
      I wonder, what wine goes with crow? Can anybody help me out?
      Perhaps some of this? http://www.wineexperience.cc/horse.html

Comment

Originally posted by Kamikaze View Post
        Awesome, so this is the thread where we make fun of those that kept denying the mounting evidence of Steam on linux?

Perhaps some of this? http://www.wineexperience.cc/horse.html
        Oh my god I just shit myself laughing!

I mean ... uh ...

... excellent choice, sir.

Comment

LOL yes, I think Micheal has some really deserved 'I told you so!'s to pass out to those who mocked him for such a long time.

Personally I'm not all over the moon regarding this mainly becuase I'm pretty content with the Humble Bundle offerings myself but I'm still happy as this has the potential to lower the barrier of entry for Linux in general and also as chances are this will benefit my use of Linux in some way other than game availability which as mentioned isn't really that big of a deal for me.

And while I can definitely symphatize with those who has wanted to see this for a long time, I've certainly never understood the motivation of those who so vehemently denied this could possibly be true, it's as if the idea of this happening would disrupt their way of life.

Also, despite being certain that Valve really likes Linux (they've used it in-house for very long from what I gather), I'm guessing the big reason for them venturing outside of the major desktop markets (Windows in particular) is that Microsoft and Apple will threaten their market with their own desktop app-stores which will be very hard for Valve to compete with in the long run.

Anyway, whatever the reason it's good news for Linux, so thumbs up Valve!

Comment

To make me unpopular in this thread, now I would say that it's "official" that Valve will make Steam on Linux. Previous posts on this site over the last years were, and still are, incorrect. After reading Valve's official post, they only decided to investigate support sometime last year.

Comment

There is a distinct lack of celebration in this thread :P But then it makes sense, as those who believed Michael are not surprised by this, while those who didn't are too embarrassed to show their face.

About the blog post, it's good to hear that they are indeed planning to port other games to Linux, and not just use it as a stepping stool for a steambox or so. And that they'll support different distributions.

That said, I still hate Steam with a passion, as much as any other form of DRM, but it will be useful for bringing non-DRM games to Linux, too, so I'm happy with the development regardless.

Comment

Originally posted by TobiSGD View Post
                Nice! I hope they will make native 64 bit ports, not 32 bit multilib crap.
                I guess it depends much about the windows and mac client. If they dont have 64 client on those the change it would be 64 is very slim

Comment

Originally posted by jhansonxi View Post
                  It's shocking that Michael is so desperate for advertisement revenue that he would hack Valve's servers and plant a fake Linux blog. Obviously he is working for M$ and just writes these articles to make Linux users look like delusional fanboys.

(I'm just filling in for the doubters that seem to be absent. Is my trolling good? )
                  thank's for the laugh!

Comment

Great! I hope that the other distributions support come short after the beta testing and in place on official release. I want to play it on my Debian

Comment

Originally posted by Dehir View Post
                      I guess it depends much about the windows and mac client. If they dont have 64 client on those the change it would be 64 is very slim
                      That would be a shame. We have 2012, I don't see the point at all in running 32 bit software on a 6-core machine with 16GB RAM and I don't want to pollute my pure 64 bit install with 32 bit libs. If they only make a 32 bit client I think I will go for triple boot: Windows, Linux for gaming (32 bit with PAE kernel), Linux for serious work (64 bit).

Comment

Working...
                      X