HyperZ: Errata & The Catalyst Command Stream

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    Um... no, but it sure is good QA for the documentation and sample code we write to support open source driver development
    Right its a good movement and the result is a profit even if the solution isn't here for now.

But now its up to AMD to fix this mess.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
      With any bit of luck, "that part was done by the guy who left five years ago"
      Well, the code is still supposed to be there. Unless it's obfuscated. Or a needle in a haystack. Or a "why is this here to begin with" type of code. All of the cases being a result of poor code commenting/management.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
        Wait, so if AMD doesn't know what's wrong there, then how does fglrx manage to function right? There must have been some code in it that manages those cases...
        I explain in my blog post why there might very well be no errata or special code in the closed source driver for the issue i am hitting. So to paraphrase myself, fglrx is doing things differently than the open source driver and this is the out come of many things :
        - intentional to work around some issue
        - out come of driver stack architecture
        - human that wrote the code, wrote that register A before register B with no special intention to do so

In the end due to those difference the closed source driver might never trigger the issue the open source driver is facing. This is a possibility. If that the case no one in AMD/ATI ever faced the hang we are having and thus no errata for it was ever written.

So, no, there is not necesarily any code in fglrx that work around the issue we are having. Furthermore as i said, if there is such code, it might very well not be documented as a work around or errata, it might be some engineer fixed it and forgot about filling errata for all the reason human forgot about things.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
          Well, the code is still supposed to be there. Unless it's obfuscated. Or a needle in a haystack. Or a "why is this here to begin with" type of code. All of the cases being a result of poor code commenting/management.
          Have to disagree with you there. If we were talking about "do this thing and HyperZ works" code then I would agree, but that's not the case here. It's more like "if you do *everything* (ie all the operations related to running a GL app, not just setting up a single HW block) in exactly the same sequence as these 30 million lines of code then it works fine... and as Jerome said doing things in exactly that sequence pretty much means rewriting the open source driver from scratch.

If it was a repeatable failure in a specific section of code then it would be easier to isolate a code sequence and experiment with it (eg try a sequence half way between the one that works and the one that doesn't repeat until light comes on), but intermittent failures in a highly pipelined system make it hard to do anything but "change something in the driver code, run the driver for a while, hey maybe it's working, oh crap it's not, reboot, rinse, repeat".

I'm impressed that everyone stuck with it as long as they did before parking the code for and working on something that might give some instant gratification for a change
          Last edited by bridgman; 14 July 2012, 07:19 PM.
          Test signature

Comment

Or maybe the planets were in the right order when AMD wrote catalyst command stream emition code, and didn't revealed the bug. Unfortunately Mesa developers weren't that lucky

Comment

Missing the point

Reading comment here, i obviously failed at making my point, AMD contributed a lot of engineering time helping me on hyperz. My point was that it's stupid to blame AMD for this because they might very well just don't have the information we need, or if they have this information they might ignore they have it because some one forgot to document it.

It's just life, maybe i should do an hyperz bumper sticker for my car ...

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
                Or maybe the planets were in the right order when AMD wrote catalyst command stream emition code, and didn't revealed the bug. Unfortunately Mesa developers weren't that lucky
                That's probably a fair statement.

There are all kinds of advantages that come from designing the HW and SW together, but the downside is that you end up with some unspoken, undocumented assumptions.

Typical example -- during early design HW dev explains a particular function to SW dev on a whiteboard, explanation shows the HW getting inputs in a certain sequence. SW dev now thinks about the HW that way. When it comes time to write the code, they organize operations in the same sequence the HW dev talked about a few months earlier... not because it's the only way to do it, not because it's even the "official" way to do it, but it's what was in the HW dev's head at the time they designed the block. SW dev writes the code, it works and gets integrated into the rest of the driver stack, everyone is happy.

The only real solution for that is to write open source driver software at the same time as proprietary driver software, run it on the same simulators & emulators, and be able to talk to the HW folks about odd issues like this while everything is still fresh in their heads AND we can try to reproduce on the emulators to see what is happening inside the chip.

I know people complained a lot about us working on support for new hardware when features were still missing from older hardware, but realistically the only way for this to work is if open source drivers are written and tested alongside the rest of the engineering effort. Getting there took 5 years of really hard work from the developers (basically supporting 10 years of hardware in 5 years) and I'll take a bit of credit for getting open source drivers at least partially integrated into the top level planning efforts, but I'm hoping you'll see the benefits and understand why we did this in the future.

We were a bit too late for this to give much benefit for SI since the HW focus had already moved to the next gen even though we started months before SI launch, but (crosses fingers) hopefully that will be the last time.

Originally posted by glisse View Post
                It's just life, maybe i should do an hyperz bumper sticker for my car ...
                Wait until it's working... then you can get one of those "I fought HyperZ and won... and so can you !!" stickers

EDIT -- tried to add "Hyper" to Captain Z-Ro's uniform ( http://www.dhark.com/CAPTAIN_Z-RO/index.html ) but it didn't work well...
                Last edited by bridgman; 14 July 2012, 07:51 PM.
                Test signature

Comment

EDIT -- tried to add "Hyper" to Captain Z-Ro's uniform ( http://www.dhark.com/CAPTAIN_Z-RO/index.html ) but it didn't work well...
                  I fix that for you:

Comment

I fixed this a second time for you:

Comment

Originally posted by maldorordiscord View Post
                      I fix that for you:
                      You da man.

Now we just need to get that onto a T-shirt for glisse.

Originally posted by maldorordiscord View Post
                      I fixed this a second time for you:
                      Auggh !! My eyes !!!
                      Last edited by bridgman; 14 July 2012, 09:21 PM.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X