Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Puts Out Hefty Linux Driver Update

Phoronix: NVIDIA Puts Out Hefty Linux Driver Update

NVIDIA released the 304.22 Linux x86/x86_64 graphics driver beta this morning, which has a number of new features and fixes. There's 27 official changes to be exact...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

i'm very excited about the DKMS Support.

Comment

"Hefty" is right, there's quite some cool things in there.

For example, there's been tons of posts the likes of "I only have one resolution with the 302 driver!" on forums, the IncludeImplicitMetaModes stuff takes care of that. And being able to set UseDisplayDevice to "none" will help Bumblebee users.

Comment

still waiting for optimus support.

Comment

Originally posted by shinger View Post
          still waiting for optimus support.
          And you'll continue to wait until xorg-server-1.13 is released, and either Nvidia gets access to dma-buf or they figure out some other way to communicate with the Intel driver.

Though with xorg-server-1.13, Optimus will work with nouveau.

Comment

I'm not seeing the 64-bit version of this.. when I navigate to the 64 bit drivers for my GPU, I only see the one that was released one month ago.

Also, I'm still waiting for a legacy driver where the installer actually works for my old GeForce 5200 FX or whatever; the driver is out, but I can't for the life of me get the installer to work-- at this point I'm fed up with and scared of .run files, so I guess I'll just wait for a .deb

Comment

Originally posted by ethana2 View Post
              I'm not seeing the 64-bit version of this.. when I navigate to the 64 bit drivers for my GPU, I only see the one that was released one month ago.
              ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Li..._64-304.22.run

Comment

I'm a glutton for punishment, and I want a better 3d driver...

Distribution provided pre-install scripts failed. Continue anyways?

Comment

Wayland?

Is that (DKMS) the last piece needed for Wayland compatibility, or is something still missing?
                  Last edited by snadrus; 13 July 2012, 04:30 PM. Reason: clarity

Comment

Originally posted by snadrus View Post
                    Is that (DKMS) the last piece needed for Wayland compatibility, or is something still missing?
                    No, DKMS is a set of scripts which automatically compiles kernel modules for newly installed kernels.

KMS is something completely different. In its most basic definition (Kernel ModeSetting) it means that the video mode is controlled by code in the kernel module. The way most people refer to KMS, however, is the DRM/Gallium3D/Wayland definition that refers to a specific KMS implementation. Nvidia already has the former, but they do not (and most likely will never have) the latter.

Comment

Working...
                    X